OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How young can you start them?

Started by RiverRoost, March 23, 2021, 09:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

What's a good age to start the younguns Turkey hunting? My son is 3 right now and will be 4 in august. I know with TSS on the scene it will allow for a kid to start a little younger as far as tolerating the gun goes, especially with some of the .410 patterns. I don't really have anywhere that I know would work for setting up a ground blind and getting him in it as far as "knowing birds are coming to this field or food plot". I'm mostly on my feet on the move so I know him sitting still for very long could be a challenge

AppalachianHollers

My uncle took his son for the first time when he was 4. It worked well, but ultimately depends on the kid. But I don't think any earlier makes sense for turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Are you talking about going along on a hunt,....or actually being the hunter? 

If you are talking about just going along, then if they have the interest and physical capabilities, they can go at any age. 

If you are talking about them actually hunting, I personally believe that any child less than ten years old that is hunting should first and foremost, be able to demonstrate (to an unbiased source) that they are capable of handling and accurately shooting a firearm.

Secondly, they should be required to take, comprehend, and pass a hunter safety course. 

Under those two parameters, I personally believe it is a rare kid that can fulfill both of those, and also have the maturity to understand the implications of killing an animal, before they are about eight years old,...and often times, much older. 

RiverRoost

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 23, 2021, 09:50:43 AM
Are you talking about going along on a hunt,....or actually being the hunter? 

If you are talking about just going along, then if they have the interest and physical capabilities, they can go at any age. 

If you are talking about them actually hunting, I personally believe that any child less than ten years old that is hunting should first and foremost, be able to demonstrate (to an unbiased source) that they are capable of handling and accurately shooting a firearm.

Secondly, they should be required to take, comprehend, and pass a hunter safety course. 

Under those two parameters, I personally believe it is a rare kid that can fulfill both of those, and also have the maturity to understand the implications of killing an animal, before they are about eight years old,...and often times, much older.

I agree with a couple points you made there. And selfishly I want to take him as the hunter but a part of me knows how special turkeys and Turkey hunting is to me and I want his hunts and especially his first Turkey kill to be engrained in his memory forever, which I can't remember what I did yesterday much less at 4 years old. I was 15 when I killed my first Turkey and recall every single aspect of that hunt, down to the exact tree I was sitting on and want it that way for him but don't want to hold him out longer than he should for that reason. Like I said, guess most of it is an anxious ready on my part for him.

AppalachianHollers

I should clarify that my example of my cousin going at 4 was only to "go along," not to actually hunt.

RiverRoost

I deep down know 4 is too young. He tells me all the time "he can't wait to get his first Turkey" so I think that's what makes me want to share it with him quicker than he's probably ready. And don't want to push it on him definitely.

the Ward

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on March 23, 2021, 10:16:47 AM
I should clarify that my example of my cousin going at 4 was only to "go along," not to actually hunt.

Sure let him tag along. Let him have fun playing with the calls and don't try and make it too serious of a hunt. No Bataan death march, and when he gets bored or tired, just head in. Just let him enjoy some time with Dad, "hunting." Teach him safety while you are out. As one father to another, don't be in a rush to have him kill something. Childlike innocence is a fleeting thing, only lasting a short period in all our lives. Let him enjoy it while he can. Far too soon he will know the harsh reality of life, that we all know too well.

the Ward

My own son started tagging along with me when he was 5. We had a lot of fun, and never got a thing. He took his hunter safety course at 11 and began actually hunting then. He has grown into a fine man that i couldn't be prouder of. Military vet, firefighter,sworn full time law enforcement. All those lessons i taught him in safety and gun handling and being a man of his word were not in vain thankfully. I wish you many safe and fun adventures with your son, that you will have many stories to share for years to come!

Happy

For me its usually around 10 or 11 and they have to show the initiative. I ain't one to coddle too much or make it to easy. No blinds and the biggest leg up might be a hen decoy. That only lasts for the first turkey. After that they can take their lumps and learn from it. If they aren't cut out for it then that's fine. Call me old and crotchety but I like my kids to have to work for it to some extent. I still do all the scouting and give them cracks at the easy to get at Tom's. If they are meant to be turkey hunters it will take, if not I will still raise them to be decent humans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 23, 2021, 10:27:08 AM
I deep down know 4 is too young. He tells me all the time "he can't wait to get his first Turkey" so I think that's what makes me want to share it with him quicker than he's probably ready. And don't want to push it on him definitely.

I think every "hunter" parent goes through that same process.  We want them to experience the same thrill we did (and do) when first getting to carry a gun and actually hunt.  However, I believe some parents push that envelope too far. 

Again, if a youngster can demonstrate the physical and mental abilities that should be the basis to handle the actual act of being a hunter, I am fine with letting young kids hunt.  I just personally think they need to be able to prove it to someone other than that parent that wants to start them before they are truly ready.

Marc

I have two girls...  Neither shoot, but both go hunting with me...  They love dove hunting, they tolerate duck hunting, and they do not like turkey hunting.

I took my buddy's kid, who was really excited to go as well.  We had turkeys gobbling, had to make a couple quick moves, and were done at 8 A.M....   He also prefers other types of hunting, where he can roam and move.  I had both he and my daughter helping me call (to get them involved)...

Sitting still and quiet for long periods of time, is not enjoyable to them.  Frankly I was quite surprised, cause I have not taken any of the kids on long hunts, there has been plenty of action, but the sitting still and quiet is very unappealing.

I think my oldest will have a different viewpoint when she is shooting next year....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Haypatch

My son started going along with me at 6 and killed his 1st at 9!

silvestris

One should answer whether the hunt is for the ego of the child or the adult.  Real turkey hunting is both a physical and mental challenge.  God created doves, squirrels and rabbits for a reason.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

bigriverbum

i appreciate your desire to get them out as soon as you can.  doesn't have to strictly be turkey hunting. could be going scouting with you or whatever. as long as you're in the woods, letting them have fun, and trying to teach what you know they can absorb.

it's really up to the individual kid. i wouldn't let any kid under 8 shoot in a hunting situation. and i know 16 year olds i wouldn't let either. my older nephew is 10 now. got his first turkey last year and has shot a doe and 2 really nice bucks already. all the kid cares about is hunting. he's also in the 99th percentile for height and weight and is scarily mature. so hunting with him hasn't worried me at all. just make sure i have a constant focus on gun safety(which i control until it's time to shoot) and a lot of ethics

his younger brother likes hunting but is less mature and not as crazy about it. i have to approach taking him differently. he gets bored and likes his screens.  he got his first deer last november and handled it very well. 

even when  they're gung-ho you gotta remember they're just kids.  i'd have followed my dad to the ends of the earth at that age, but too much effort and no success could turn them off. pick and choose your excursions wisely.

good luck and be safe

28lber

MK M GOBL

I with GobbleNut on this too.

I do a lot of Learn to Hunts and Youth Hunts and the kids vary wildly on their readiness, we don't allow any kids under 10 on the hunts (gun in hand)  as tag-a-longs yes but not handling a gun. I know for a lot of this is just the excitement of getting the kid out there but when I see a picture of a 5 year old behind a turkey (JMHO) they really has no concept of what taking an animals life is, yup Dad/Mom are proud and their kid did it, but still comes to me as it was more the parents than kid, I have had a number of kids the were being "pushed" in to the program. I had a young 10 year girl that was in tears even about shooting the shotgun, we still went out, still had fun, seen turkeys but never squeezed a trigger, didn't even worry about it. We watched the deer, squirrels, birds and turkeys that morning. She was back out again at 12 and and what a couple of years made a difference in her. Every kid is going to different...Some are ready and some not.

MK M GOBL