turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Questionable information???

Started by 2eagles, March 23, 2021, 09:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I'm in an Iowa turkey hunting group on Facebook. Some really basic hunting questions get really far out answers from the "experts". Some could easily be answered by going to the DNR website, but that's too hard. And there's the how do I hunt turkeys? There's books written that can't tell all of it.
SO! I always recommend going to OLDGOBBLER.COM where the real experts hang out.

GobbleNut

;D :toothy12: :TooFunny:  No doubt, you can get an opinion to fit every situation there is here.  After that, you just sort out the one you want to apply...   ;D

Dtrkyman

That should be the name of a news network!

Crghss

Oh yeah, you'll find some experts. Keeps it fun.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

2eagles

Today a guy posts his first year he shot at 3 birds and wounded 2 because no one told him to shoot them in the head and then he writes "lol". He should get his fanny kicked and be embarrassed not "lol"ing. GRR!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: 2eagles on March 24, 2021, 12:14:28 PM
Today a guy posts his first year he shot at 3 birds and wounded 2 because no one told him to shoot them in the head and then he writes "lol". He should get his fanny kicked and be embarrassed not "lol"ing. GRR!
Agreed. If you don't hold the animal and it's life in the highest respect you shouldn't be pursuing that animal or taking on the burden of ending that life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High plains drifter

In thirty years, I've wounded one bird. I had my pheasant choke in.That was the reason. I did find him, but he flew low, and my dog flushed  him, and I couldn't shoot for fear of hitting my dog.Otherwise,  I would have had him.

CAPTJJ

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 24, 2021, 12:26:25 PM
Agreed. If you don't hold the animal and it's life in the highest respect you shouldn't be pursuing that animal or taking on the burden of ending that life.

My question is: if you hold an animal's life in the "highest respect", then why are you killing it?

g8rvet

Quote from: CAPTJJ on March 25, 2021, 12:29:19 PM

My question is: if you hold an animal's life in the "highest respect", then why are you killing it?
because he is an apex predator?
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Turkeytider

That`s terrible. I admit I live in mortal fear of wounding one of these magnificent birds. So much so that if I can`t get him close enough to see his eyes blink, I`m most likely not taking the shot. I know if I crippled one it would ruin the season for me.

Turkeytider

Quote from: CAPTJJ on March 25, 2021, 12:29:19 PM

I`ve personally never considered hunting an animal ethically and respecting said animal as mutually exclusive.

Sir-diealot

There are those that are not very tech savvy and go to Facebroke groups because that is what came on their phone. The thing that bothers me and (though I belong to many groups on Facebroke it is only because I want to support hunting that I do) is that people go there looking for help and you get so many jerks that run them down, give what they THINK is a clever or witty reply and don't help the person at all. The hunting groups were a great idea of course but in the end they are not moderated well or the have that one that is related or whatever to the person that started it and is ruining the group for everyone by allowing people to ridicule people or even doing it themselves. Heaven forbid if you have an opinion that does not agree with the pages click (Like not agreeing with antler restrictions or using decoys or whatever you like) they treat you horribly. I much prefer it here for sure.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Mossberg90MN

Those Facebook groups are the absolute worst.

I've actually unfollowed a lot of hunting Facebook groups because it's all basically garbage.

I couldn't stand scrolling through my feed and just seeing stuff that was so dumb.

Like was said before, just read your states hunting regulations. And of course the "experts"

Gooserbat

Do not trust anything I say except patience kills turkeys, a turkey vest is judged by its butt cushion and buy a thermacell.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Wisgobbler

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 25, 2021, 11:26:33 PM
Do not trust anything I say except patience kills turkeys, a turkey vest is judged by its butt cushion and buy a thermacell.
Amen!