OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Purring on Box Call  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Trl91

Purring on Box Call
« on: March 22, 2021, 02:26:39 PM »
Hello, I’m looking for some tips or advice on how ya’ll are achieving good sounding purrs on a box call? Is there a certain hand positioning or side / top pressure that works better for this application? Got all the other sounds down to my liking, but can’t create a purr as good as with my pot call and would like to improve. Thanks!

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Purring on Box Call
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 04:09:48 PM »
I hold the paddle between my thumb and forefinger with a slight amount of down pressure and while dragging the paddle slowly across the box, I am changing the angle of the paddle from steep to shallow angle.  Hard to describe....it's just a feel.

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »
Watch Marlin's video on long boxes on YouTube

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 09:18:03 PM »
Watch Marlin's video on long boxes on YouTube
Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJK9BqyFMsI&list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8&index=4&t=166s
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 09:46:21 PM »
Don't put to much stock in purring, it's probably one of the least thing i do while hunting gobblers. Just make sure you have all the other sounds down and your good to go..

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 08:54:07 AM »
Hello, I’m looking for some tips or advice on how ya’ll are achieving good sounding purrs on a box call? Is there a certain hand positioning or side / top pressure that works better for this application? Got all the other sounds down to my liking, but can’t create a purr as good as with my pot call and would like to improve. Thanks!

I don't know that you'll ever purr on a box "as good" as with a pot call. There's a reason you don't see folks in calling contests doing their purr on a box call. As with anything, practicing "right" will help you improve.

Offline J Lacey

• Shag Hill Custom Box Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 04:33:36 PM »
Put the end of the handle in the center of your palm.  Might not be an award winning purr but at least it won’t sound like crickets chirping. 
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

Offline Bringintheh2o

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 05:40:11 PM »
Great tip and technique. Pretty new to turkey hunting but have acquired a lot of pots, strikers and box calls due to the pandemic. Just tried Jeff’s suggestion and it absolutely works.

Offline ozarktroutbum

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 10:29:41 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but Marlin didn't purr once with that box call.  ::)

IMO, being able to even duplicate a presentable "purr" on a box call is something that is not done often. Tell you the truth, I've never seen it.

I've messed around with it but didn't get too far. The only way I can come anywhere close is to close it up and hold it between my thighs close in to my stomach and find the right amount of pressure with the lid. Purring on a slate is not something I believe can be beat.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 10:34:13 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but Marlin didn't purr once with that box call.  ::)

IMO, being able to even duplicate a presentable "purr" on a box call is something that is not done often. Tell you the truth, I've never seen it.

I've messed around with it but didn't get too far. The only way I can come anywhere close is to close it up and hold it between my thighs close in to my stomach and find the right amount of pressure with the lid. Purring on a slate is not something I believe can be beat.

Go to the 1:54 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdaOqvOZaU&list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8&index=5&ab_channel=JBY220
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 11:33:51 PM »
I agree, trying to purr on a box call while in the heat of the battle in calling that gobbler can go south really fast. Best to do your purring on pot call. IMO

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 06:14:35 AM »
there is a good longbox instructional on this forum of Ralph Snodgrass (Lightning Strike), he shows an easy method of purring and light clucks.

I don't think purring and clucking on a well built longbox is any harder to do when the pressure is on than yelping is. I would still give the edge to a good slate call for purrs.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 07:22:50 PM »
Put the end of the handle in the center of your palm.  Might not be an award winning purr but at least it won’t sound like crickets chirping.
This right here will make purring easy, I learned this From Jeff about a year ago by watching a video . Great Tip !!!!

Offline Trl91

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 09:25:51 AM »
Any chance you have the link to the video?

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 08:40:20 PM »
Any chance you have the link to the video?
I am not sure where I saw the video it may have been on Facebook or maybe you tube. Try google Jeff Lacey running a box call or maybe Shag Hill box calls. I will search and see if I find it