OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New gun

Started by Drycreek, March 22, 2021, 01:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drycreek

It will more than likely be an all around gun.
Thanks

Will

Browning. Quality is all I can say. I own rifles and bought a shotgun because of the quality. Properly cared for and cleaned you should have no problems. Great customer service. Look at the other posts where people have had issues with other brands. I've been an 870 guy for years owning a Wingmaster then a Super Mag but went Semi Auto when I bought a Browning. I am pleased with my A5 and now considering a Maxus II. Hold one and you'll know what I mean. The actions for every Browning I own from my X Bolt to my BLR's are smooth! My A5 is just as good.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Will on March 23, 2021, 03:07:04 PM
Browning. Quality is all I can say. I own rifles and bought a shotgun because of the quality. Properly cared for and cleaned you should have no problems. Great customer service. Look at the other posts where people have had issues with other brands. I've been an 870 guy for years owning a Wingmaster then a Super Mag but went Semi Auto when I bought a Browning. I am pleased with my A5 and now considering a Maxus II. Hold one and you'll know what I mean. The actions for every Browning I own from my X Bolt to my BLR's are smooth! My A5 is just as good.
Do you have one of the newer A5's that's gas operated out one of the older recoil operated models? I'm just curious. My grandfather had an older one and that thing was bullet proof. Would've loved to have gotten that one but none of his guns made it into the hands of but one family member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swenny

I love these kinds of threads.  I'd say it really depends on your boy and what the gun will be used for.  You mentioned it'll be more of an all around gun.  If he likes to clean his guns I'd go for a semi-auto Beretta or Winchester (nothing wrong with Benelli's but they don't seem to shoot straight for me, lol).  If he is the kind of person who cleans it every couple of years I'd get him a pump Mossberg or Winchester, or a Browning O/U.

I'd go for a 3 1/2 chamber for sure.  Unless you're absolutely positive that he won't every want to shoot 3 1/2's out of it, you can't go wrong with bigger chamber cause of the downsize compatability with smaller shells.

Happy shopping!!!!

Will

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 23, 2021, 03:28:15 PM
Do you have one of the newer A5's that's gas operated out one of the older recoil operated models? I'm just curious. My grandfather had an older one and that thing was bullet proof. Would've loved to have gotten that one but none of his guns made it into the hands of but one family member.

I have the inertia driven A5 and had an issue in the beginning where it wouldn't eject trap loads. The gun was brand new and I sent it back. Customer service was the way it should be. It's broken in and works great. I am looking at a Maxus II now which is gas operated just so I can have the best of both worlds. Craftsmanship is unbelievable. The older A5's are legendary, my dad has one and it is a finely made shotgun.

Drycreek

I totally agree with you about Brownings, my brother has my fathers Browning Sweet 16. Man that is a sweet shooting shotgun.

Drycreek

Quote from: Swenny on March 24, 2021, 08:19:15 AM
I love these kinds of threads.  I'd say it really depends on your boy and what the gun will be used for.  You mentioned it'll be more of an all around gun.  If he likes to clean his guns I'd go for a semi-auto Beretta or Winchester (nothing wrong with Benelli's but they don't seem to shoot straight for me, lol).  If he is the kind of person who cleans it every couple of years I'd get him a pump Mossberg or Winchester, or a Browning O/U.

I'd go for a 3 1/2 chamber for sure.  Unless you're absolutely positive that he won't every want to shoot 3 1/2's out of it, you can't go wrong with bigger chamber cause of the downsize compatability with smaller shells.

Happy shopping!!!!

Great advice about the cleaning aspect, that had not even crossed my mind.
Thanks

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Drycreek on March 24, 2021, 11:04:39 AM

I totally agree with you about Brownings, my brother has my fathers Browning Sweet 16. Man that is a sweet shooting shotgun.
My uncle had a Savage 720 or 750. Can't recall at the moment. It's identical to the A5 but lacks the magazine cutoff. It was a 16 ga as well.

Will

Quote from: Drycreek on March 24, 2021, 11:06:06 AM
Quote from: Swenny on March 24, 2021, 08:19:15 AM

Happy shopping!!!!

Great advice about the cleaning aspect, that had not even crossed my mind.
Thanks

I totally missed the cleaning part and this is great advice. I've watched several you tube videos on the how to disassemble the A5, Maxus II and even RETAY shotguns for comparison. You tube is a wonderful resource.

2eagles

Don't surprise him. Ask him what he wants. He knows better than anyone what gun makes him grin.
3 1/2's or 3's? I've got two grown sons. One is 160 soaking wet and shoots 3 1/2" all day waterfowl hunting. Says no big deal. The other is a muscular 220 and only shoots 3 inch - go figure!

Gooserbat

I'm an 870 guy but with the current state of Remington, I'd go Franchi Affinity and never look back.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Drycreek on March 22, 2021, 02:31:29 PM
He does have an older Charles Daly NWTF pump 20ga that he really likes, but he is kinda wanting to move up to a 12ga. Which is kinda funny cause I have gone back to a 20ga. Recoil does not seem to bother him. You know how we guys are at 18, think we are 10ft tall and bullet proof.

So if he wants a BIG gun... I have a friend that just got a Stoeger M3500 and with the factory choke and 3" XR #5 great patterns 40+. Only complaint is heavy trigger 7+lbs.... Although MCarbo makes a trigger kit for it to reduce it down to 5#.

Also another option would be the Mossberg 935, just keep them clean.

And if you want to drop big $$$$ you can always get them BIG name brands....

Good luck.

Txag12

Semi auto and staying reasonable for price the franchi affinity are hard to beat.

In a pump I would say an 870, but being they are hard to find new now, I'd probably lean a BPS

Drycreek

Quote from: 2eagles on March 24, 2021, 03:09:56 PM
Don't surprise him. Ask him what he wants. He knows better than anyone what gun makes him grin.
3 1/2's or 3's? I've got two grown sons. One is 160 soaking wet and shoots 3 1/2" all day waterfowl hunting. Says no big deal. The other is a muscular 220 and only shoots 3 inch - go figure!

When I was thinking about getting a new rifle, it was going to be a surprise only because I knew what he wanted. I have been looking for a Tikka t3x 270 for several months with no luck. When i decided to get him a shotgun instead, I told him we needed to take a trip to see what fit him best and to see what to liked. This thread has given me some ideas as to what to look for and what to stay away from. Right now he is leaning towards an 870.

Thanks for all the info Guys!!

longbeards

I would look for a older 1990s production 870 or 1187. For the $ hard to beat and reliable!!