turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New gun

Started by Drycreek, March 22, 2021, 01:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drycreek

Ok guys I need a little help. My oldest son graduates this year and I am thinking about getting him a new turkey gun. I need some ideas about which direction to look. I have always been an 870 guy, but would like to keep my options open.

Thanks

Which Gun

Does he already have a turkey gun or shotguns? Is he a big fella can handle 3 1/2" gives you options on three different shell choices. Does he prefer auto over pump or vise versa.

rakkin6

Quote from: Drycreek on March 22, 2021, 01:27:42 PM
Ok guys I need a little help. My oldest son graduates this year and I am thinking about getting him a new turkey gun. I need some ideas about which direction to look. I have always been an 870 guy, but would like to keep my options open.

Thanks
Depends on what you want to spend. Me personally I have several older model Remington's I love. But I am staying away from them for a little while since they filed bankruptcy. I know they got bought out and our under new management and should be up and running again soon. I will give it about 18 months and see how their quality is. I had quite a few issues with their ammo in the past few years.

Sorry about the tangent, but I would look at a Mossberg 835, Stoeger M3500 Turkey, Franchi or Winchester SXP. If you have the money I just got a Benelli M2 has a gift for retirement that is really nice, I would have never bought it for myself but the Wife and In Laws bought it for me. But like I said depends on the price range.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

wvmntnhick

Fierce Mayhem. It's new. It's a Benelli but with a lower price tag which makes no sense to me. They're tweaking it in some fashion but not certain what exactly. But, so far, the reviews gave been good. Winchester SX2, SX3 or SX4. All are good guns. Had an SX2. Have played with the others a bit. Like them all. If you're looking for a pump gun, find an older 870. The Mossberg guns kill in one end and cripple on the other. The 935's aren't as bad but the gas system eats up some of the recoil too. That obviously helps. If you're looking for a straight turkey gun and he's going to run tss, no need to look any further than the 20 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spiggy2

There are some good deals on some Weatherby SA-459 out there. 12 ga mostly, but everything you'd need in a turkey gun imo. Short barrel, light weight, tapped receiver, pistol grip. I had a 870 that I used for years and prefer the Weatherby over the 870 for turkey hunting. But I think you can't beat the simplicity of a pump either. Hopefully this Weatherby will be as good as my 870, but time will tell.

"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

rakkin6

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 22, 2021, 02:01:32 PM
Fierce Mayhem. It's new. It's a Benelli but with a lower price tag which makes no sense to me. They're tweaking it in some fashion but not certain what exactly. But, so far, the reviews gave been good. Winchester SX2, SX3 or SX4. All are good guns. Had an SX2. Have played with the others a bit. Like them all. If you're looking for a pump gun, find an older 870. The Mossberg guns kill in one end and cripple on the other. The 935's aren't as bad but the gas system eats up some of the recoil too. That obviously helps. If you're looking for a straight turkey gun and he's going to run tss, no need to look any further than the 20 gauge.

Yeah the Mossbergs do kick. My 835 isn't to bad but I have a 535 that will rock you. First time I shot it I was using 3.5" shells, I shot 2 of them and said nope not shooting anymore of these lol.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Drycreek

He does have an older Charles Daly NWTF pump 20ga that he really likes, but he is kinda wanting to move up to a 12ga. Which is kinda funny cause I have gone back to a 20ga. Recoil does not seem to bother him. You know how we guys are at 18, think we are 10ft tall and bullet proof.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Drycreek on March 22, 2021, 02:31:29 PM
He does have an older Charles Daly NWTF pump 20ga that he really likes, but he is kinda wanting to move up to a 12ga. Which is kinda funny cause I have gone back to a 20ga. Recoil does not seem to bother him. You know how we guys are at 18, think we are 10ft tall and bullet proof.
Not me brother. Didn't like recoil then. Like it even less now. But, maybe it's just me. I tried the big whiz bang shoulder thumpers for a minute. Couple years of that stuff and I left them behind. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze in my opinion. Find myself going to smaller stature shotguns these days too. Just makes sense to me.

Drycreek

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 22, 2021, 02:38:23 PM
Not me brother. Didn't like recoil then. Like it even less now. But, maybe it's just me. I tried the big whiz bang shoulder thumpers for a minute. Couple years of that stuff and I left them behind. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze in my opinion. Find myself going to smaller stature shotguns these days too. Just makes sense to me.

I totally agree, the older I get the more I find myself going in the direction of the smaller calibers.

Which Gun

Then go with a 3 1/2" gun. Can always shoot 2 3/4" and 3".  Your budget to go from here.

Dtrkyman

With the modern loads we have 3.5 inch shells are just for bragging rights!

Is this purely a turkey getter or an all purpose gun?  That would change my decisions personally.  I prefer auto's and O/U, started with pumps cuz they were cheaper, but I have mostly auto loaders!

My ultimate turkey gun would be a sxs or O/U that both barrels shot the same poi!  One standard full choke and an extra full.   

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Drycreek on March 22, 2021, 02:48:59 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 22, 2021, 02:38:23 PM

I totally agree, the older I get the more I find myself going in the direction of the smaller calibers.
If you want a very mild deer rifle, look at the 6x45. It's bad on deer and will fit a short action. Trust me when I say this, it's quite impressive for what it is. I know you're asking about a shotgun but the smaller caliber stuff brought it out of me.

the Ward

Is it going to be a dedicated turkey gun? Whats the price range? Hard to go wrong with a 835 and a FF3 shooting Longbeards for your best bang for the buck. Also much more versatile.He also might like the benelli super nova, lot's of accessories to customize it if he likes pump actions.

Turkeytider

Not that they are the only ones, but 870 Super Mags and 835s  are classic turkey guns. As for 3.5" shells, absolutely the LEAST necessary thing to successfully hunt turkeys IMO. 3.5s out of a pump? More man than I am!

rakkin6

Quote from: Turkeytider on March 23, 2021, 10:05:23 AM
Not that they are the only ones, but 870 Super Mags and 835s  are classic turkey guns. As for 3.5" shells, absolutely the LEAST necessary thing to successfully hunt turkeys IMO. 3.5s out of a pump? More man than I am!
Especially if you are using TSS but even with the Longbeards they are not needed. Sorry but the juice is not worth the squeeze.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER