OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: bending the diaphragm call  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
bending the diaphragm call
« on: March 22, 2021, 09:41:42 AM »
I think this may have been covered last year, but I wanted to refresh my memory on this topic.  I think it is commonplace to bend the frame of a diaphragm call to fit individual palettes better.  I've done it myself.  I can't help but think that it changes the sound somewhat as it must have some effect on the stretch of proph and latex.  To me the diaphragm was made to run as it comes from the maker.  I alter the tape on some diaphragms but I've even gotten so I don't mess with the tape much.  What are your thoughts on bending diaphragm frames?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Pluffmud

Re: bending the diaphragm call
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 03:09:17 PM »
Bending the frame will change the way the call runs and sounds. You are reducing the tension on the proph and latex in doing so. That being said, a slight bend wont change it much. I used to bend my mouth calls when I was first learning, and I could still prosuce good yelps, kee kees, and cuts. I try not to bend them anymore because I feel as if I may not be getting the most of the tone out of the call.
Psalm 46:10

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »
I don't bend mine, but I do think they get "formed" after using them for a while.  Big difference in my opinion.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 04:09:56 PM »
I agree that bending the frame may impact the sound.  However, that impact can be either positive or negative.  What it boils down to with any call is getting the sound that suits you best out of the call, whether it is bent or not.  It doesn't hurt to bend a call,...you can always bend it back. 

Taking this one step further, if you can't get the sound you want from a call regardless of anything you do, just start modifying the reeds in very slight increments and cuts.  Very often, a call that doesn't sound all that great can be transformed into a real winner by just doing some reed modifications.   :icon_thumright:

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 11:47:58 PM »
I put a you tube video out about it last year.

It can and will affect the sound some but thats not a bad thing. For many calls for me over the years its been an improvement. It helps fit smaller pallets better.
Georgia Boy

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 08:47:37 AM »
Just depends how you "bend" them. I've always bent the very front of the frame edges slightly without changing the tension of the reeds.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 11:39:00 AM »
I have bent mine, but mostly in a different way, not to form to the roof of my mouth but because I have a deep palate I bend the so the come down from the roof, I have also learned I can pull the two tips apart to "tighten" the reeds as I need to get the sound back out of it.

MK M GOBL

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 07:28:30 PM »
the very first thing I do with every mouth call is sit down and tune it. I will put it in my mouth and if it doesn't  go up into my pallet I trim the tape. Then I take my thumb on it and push a slight bend to form to my pallet.If I need more tuning I start to bend twist or straighten until I get what I want or I cuss and throw it in the trash. I rarely ever use one as is Out-of-package

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks folks.  I bent the ones I use slightly and they sound as good or better than they did new.  Biggest thing I want to do is get a good seal in the roof of my mouth.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »
I bend every call I get. I’ve learned to tune them to fit my mouth better and change the sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »
I don't bend mine, I form mine.  I take the call and put it on my left thumb, with the top of the horseshoe laying on the tip of my thumb.  I then take my right thumb and fore finger and press down on the outer frame, slightly, until the frame conforms to my thumb.  I'll check it for palate fit and repeat if necessary.