OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tactacam Woes

Started by GobbleNut, March 19, 2021, 06:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Finally bit the bullet and bought a Tactacam 5.0.  Just started fiddlin' with it, but I'm having a hard time getting it to sync-up with my Android phone so that I can see the video displayed when I am taking it.  I am under the impression that I should be able to use the Tactacam app and see the video on my phone, but so far, it ain't happenin'.  Anybody else have this problem,...and if so, is there a solution? 

Another thing that would seem to be an issue is that it appears you have to have a Wi-Fi signal to sync the phone and camera.  How often when we are in the woods does someone have a Wi-Fi signal? ...Or am I missing something there?

Another disappointment is the 8X zoom function.  I figured there would be some method of zooming in and out from 1X to 8X, but it looks like you are either at 1X or 8X with nothing in between.  Quite honestly, that sucks.  It is also less-than-simple to operate any of the functions on the camera without some level of manipulation that would not be desirable when a gobbler showed up. 

I am going to keep the darn thing,...at least it will be pointed where the gun is pointing,...but it seems to me it could be a lot better than it is in terms of practical application in a hunting situation. 

Oh, and another thing.  Does it make a difference if you mount the camera with the control buttons behind the gun mount as compared to in front of it?  It looks like you can do it either way.

guesswho

Old people and technology :TooFunny:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Shoulda known you would be the first to show up...   ::) ;D

Crghss

WiFi signal is between camera and phone. Not phone and cell tower.

If you've downloaded the app here is link on how too connect

https://tactacam.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002543073-How-to-Connect-to-your-App-via-WiFi-for-the-first-time

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: guesswho on March 19, 2021, 06:25:29 PM
It's not nice to make fun of the technologically challenged :lmao:

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

guesswho

Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on March 19, 2021, 06:50:39 PM

Trust me, I'm just glad I have company. :D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

fallhnt

Use 1x when reaping and 8x when shooting tss 8x farther than 40 yrds. That's why they made that way. Did you get the reaping decoy they sale too?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Crghss on March 19, 2021, 06:48:31 PM
WiFi signal is between camera and phone. Not phone and cell tower.

I wondered if that might be the case, but I do not have one.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeyman

Gobblenut:
"Another disappointment is the 8X zoom function.  I figured there would be some method of zooming in and out from 1X to 8X, but it looks like you are either at 1X or 8X with nothing in between."

I've had the 5.0 for quite awhile. It zooms from 1X to 8X quite well.  Give them a call...they'll help you.

GobbleNut

Yeah, I suppose my problems may be that I suffer from 'Old Dog/New Trick Syndrome".   ;D
...But, I have been trying to get all the parts synced up for a few hours now and just can't get everything where they will function together like they are supposed to.  I am beginning to think that something is amiss with the camera itself. (I am awaiting return correspondence from Tactacam to verify what the issues are)

Turkeyman, Perhaps I will be able to figure out the zoom function if I can get that far along, but for the life of me, I can't see how that can work without some sort of button or other "zooming mechanism" on the camera itself.  At this point I am assuming that you operate that on your phone/device?  ...Which brings up the question of, if you are just using the camera without the phone connection, how in the heck do you know where the zoom function is at other than that the "blue light" is on or off?

Every other camera I have ever owned (several) has had the zoom function right there on the camera where you could see what was happening. ...I just don't get the logic behind the design of this thing. 

Here's another question.  What is the advantage of getting the remote for the camera?  I didn't order that, but if it would solve some of the apparent issues I see with the darn thing, I would go ahead and get one.  Any thoughts on that from anybody?....

MK M GOBL

Hey GobbleNut, I have the 4.0 and Wi-Fi links to my phone, each time I do this I do have to re-establish that link if it's not been used for a bit. I do this the day before the hunt, I can control function from phone (no need for me to have remote) my zoom is only 5X and work great, just a push of the button once recording to make that jump. Hmmm maybe that's on the remote. In most hunts I am not using my phone, once I have a bird working I turn the Tactacam on and just goes from there. Couple of things though watch the volume on the phone I have mine shut off /buzz, It makes a beep if you hit record on the phone to start... hmmm would think they would know under hunting situation having a audible beep might not be the best thing, so check that out. also is keeping in mind your gun/bow is your camera, after the shot you need to follow the action with it until your done recording. Last one, get yourself an extra battery, yup had it die when least expected... Once used to functionality they work out pretty good, I still use a "Main" camera for my hunts, that's a Canon Vixia HF G20.

MK M GOBL

Turkeyman

You connect your phone via wifi and control the zoom with the app. Works perfectly for me.

Initially I had the 4.0 but wasn't satisfied with the 5X zoom. I contacted the place I bought it from and they took it back...when the 5.0 came out I ordered it from the same vendor. I really enjoy the 5.0.

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: guesswho on March 19, 2021, 08:48:22 PM
Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on March 19, 2021, 06:50:39 PM

Trust me, I'm just glad I have company. :D
You and me both

Wvdanimal

I just used mine last week in Florida.  If mounted to a gun or bow, I don't know why you would want to bother having your phone hooked to it also. I just turned it on before the turkeys got close and let it roll. Average shot was 30yds and the footage was awesome.  No need to use zoom mode for bow or turkey hunts. I'll switch to the zoom mode when i put it on a rifle in deer season.  Even with shotgun recoil, the birds never left the frame at the shot. I'm very happy with it so far.

GobbleNut

Okay, so I fiddled around with the camera some more this morning and have finally managed to get everything synced and working.  I watched like twenty videos on syncing everything together and not one of them turned out to be consistent with what I ended up having to do with mine. (It couldn't possibly have been due to my lack of ability to understand directions....  :angel9:

The phone controls leave a lot to be desired,...at least on my android,...but I think that if an approaching gobbler gives me about a half hour to get all the buttons pushed in the right order, I may be able to accidently get something on camera. 

It's a good thing I've got two back-up cameras on tripods, though. I figure if I don't scare the bejeesus out of any turkeys that get close while I am trying to get all the cameras lined up, I should probably quickly run buy a couple of lottery tickets.  I suspect the odds of me winning are about like the odds of me having a gobbler come close enough to film without spooking him into the next county.   ;D