OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Production call prices....what's driving them so high???  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Ole Satilla

Production call prices....what's driving them so high???
« on: March 19, 2021, 03:21:52 PM »
What in the world is driving the price of 10 year old Primos, Lohman and a few others so high? I seen a Primos freak go for over 300 this week. Thunderdome's are well over 100...saw a HS Strut grand national go for 125....I'm just wondering if anyone knows what has these calls in such high demand right now?

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Production call prices....what's driving them so high???
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 03:48:11 PM »
Because some one that don't have one is willing to pay it. don't make it worth that.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 04:14:35 PM »
I call it the MeatEater phenomena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 04:29:52 PM »
Like everything else that has some age to it and isn't in production anymore... Nostalgia. Retro. The good ole days.
Psalm 46:10

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 06:11:19 PM »
It all depends on how deep your pockets are and what your welling to pay for calls to add to your collection, older meant calls, will bring more than less meant calls. How available these calls are and vintage plays into it also. Supply and demand...

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 07:51:29 PM »
Probably on Ebay, right???  We see and hear this All the time.  As some have said, it's what the market will pay or a seller is driving up the price from their end.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 08:59:36 PM »
Bubbles expand.  Then they burst.

Write down some of the selling prices of some of these eBay treasures.  Then watch what you can get one for in the next 18 months.  Most of them won't stay near as high as they are now.  And some that are cheap now will move up to replace them.   Production calls on eBay are a roller coaster ride.  If you want in......the coaster will not always be at the top.   Just wait.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Ole Satilla

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 09:40:52 PM »
I understand that it's supply and demand, I've been buying turkey calls and turkey hunting related books for 20 years. I've just never seen mass produced calls go for what they are now.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 10:47:49 PM »
It just may have been the ones you weren't paying attention to.

10-15 years ago, the Herter's 107 call would bring $150.    Can get one today for 25% of that, or less.

Just one example off the top of.my head.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 08:38:38 PM »
Stimulus checks
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 09:20:40 PM »
Stimulus checks

:icon_thumright:

:TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 12:28:17 PM »
The calls you mentioned have a long reputation of being high quality production calls.  They don't make them anymore.  Their quality reputation and lack of availability.  Simple economics, supply and demand.   

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
Supply and Demand is the easy answer.

When I first started turkey hunting I was just buying what was on the shelf at the store. Now if I liked a call I'd buy a second/backup for JIC and then again if my dad liked it too. I have given away a lot of old calls to kids and to some newbies. Lately I have seen some of these calls going for crazy prices, some of my old ones never out of the box. I will admit I have made some money on these and put it to other things, I still have the "mine" and sold the extras. Just sold a Original Primos lil' Heart Breaker still in the box for some $$$ and the other sits on my "collectibles" table others. Only one I every regret giving away was a Primos Battey Slate I had, was a sweet little call.

MK M GOBL

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 01:47:17 PM »
Duck and goose hunters are far more liberal with spending money on new duck calls $150-175 acrylic than turkey hunters who criticize pot calls for selling over $100...thats new call prices

Its my assumption that the majority of turkey call prices accross the board low end/ high end are repressed with the price points .. it could be a number reasons for causing this but ill keep back on commenting why

As far as the collectable pricing on production calls that too on turkey calls is low ...IMO
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 02:05:55 PM »
Supply and demand. They are only selling for that much $$ because they can.. it's quite simple.