OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I guess I need some education

Started by mastevt, March 19, 2021, 11:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastevt

I see alot of discussion on TSS.  I shoot heavy 13 Mag Blends.  It was my understanding that Heavy 13 is made out of Tungsten.  (I may have spelled that wrong, so forgive me), which is heavier than lead.  Ok, so my question, is TSS Tungsten also?  Or is TSS a Brand of shell, like Federal, Remington?  Can anyone clearify for my ignorance.

Turkeyman

Tungsten Super Shot...TSS. Pure tungsten as opposed to an alloy.

mastevt

So in the brand "Heavy 13"  its Tungsten, just not pure?  Its an alloy?

Turkeyman

But I'm not sure if it's an alloy or plating. In either case it's not pure tungsten. Perhaps someone else knows.

mastevt

Thank you!  Appreciate the info.

FullChoke

As stated before, TSS is an acronym for Tungsten Super Shot. The pellets are made from an alloy of tungsten and other metals such as nickel, iron or copper that improve their ductility and machinability. The percentage of tungsten in the shot (90%-97%) will change the density and that's where we get the 18-19 grams per cubic centimeter shot that are taking the turkey hunting world by storm. The shot is harder that Hevi-shot which makes them less susceptible to deformation while traveling down the barrel and greatly improves the pattern density down range. It used to be that you had to handload them yourself, but now there are several ammunition manufacturers that are using TSS.

FC 

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mastevt

Quote from: FullChoke on March 19, 2021, 11:53:12 AM
As stated before, TSS is an acronym for Tungsten Super Shot. The pellets are made from an alloy of tungsten and other metals such as nickel, iron or copper that improve their ductility and machinability. The percentage of tungsten in the shot (90%-97%) will change the density and that's where we get the 18-19 grams per cubic centimeter shot that are taking the turkey hunting world by storm. The shot is harder that Hevi-shot which makes them less susceptible to deformation while traveling down the barrel and greatly improves the pattern density down range. It used to be that you had to handload them yourself, but now there are several ammunition manufacturers that are using TSS.

FC

Interesting!  thanks.   

Turkeytider

Quote from: mastevt on March 19, 2021, 11:45:37 AM
So in the brand "Heavy 13"  its Tungsten, just not pure?  Its an alloy?

Yes. Tungsten, iron and nickel.

Marc

I am currently shooting some Remington HD, which is basically rebranded Hevi-shot...  Environmental Metals no doubt makes some good products, but they have not always been completely transparent in their marketing...

For example, I believe that originally Hevi-13 was named as such due to having a density of 13g/cc...  It is my understanding that the current Hevi-13 is basically the original Hevi-shot at 12 g/cc.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dtrkyman

Big issue with Hevi 13 beside not being 13 GCC is the inconsistent shot size and weird shaped pellets.  It is still a good turkey load just no where near a TSS offering.

That and they seem to constantly change things and had some quality control issues.

mastevt

Ive been shooting the Mag Blend for several years after testing several chokes and loads.  Had to buy some for the 1st time in a couple years, and about died on how much it went up.  I know the price on the TSS Ive seen is even more.  Can't really justify it.  It may shoot better than what I got, but Im not about to shell out that kind of money to find out when My set up is really good as is.  I was just wanting some clarity on the whole "TSS"  discription/signature, or whatever one wants to call it.  Thanks all.

Marc

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 19, 2021, 02:53:27 PM
Big issue with Hevi 13 beside not being 13 GCC is the inconsistent shot size and weird shaped pellets.  It is still a good turkey load just no where near a TSS offering.

That and they seem to constantly change things and had some quality control issues.
Yes...  Hevi-shot is like a shotgun shell full of gravel...  I have no idea how they size it?  Still works better than lead though.  (Patterns tighter and more consistently, hits harder, and maintains energy better).

Given similar products, I will choose the competitors to Environmental Metals if possible (and affordable), simply due to the poor ethics of their previous and even current marketing. 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

captpete

To me TSS in a 12ga is over kill and to a certain extent so is HTL(heavier than lead). Where TSS really shines(and HTL) is in the sub gauges...20, 28 & 410. You can put a lot of #9 TSS shot in a shell and still have the downrange energy to kill at ethical ranges.

fallhnt

I still shoot lead upland loads 3in. #6 shot out of a 12 ga. Does a good job at turkey killing distance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

mtns2hunt

Quote from: captpete on March 19, 2021, 05:12:55 PM
To me TSS in a 12ga is over kill and to a certain extent so is HTL(heavier than lead). Where TSS really shines(and HTL) is in the sub gauges...20, 28 & 410. You can put a lot of #9 TSS shot in a shell and still have the downrange energy to kill at ethical ranges.

I agree and shoot LB in my 12g when I use it. I am guilty of shooting TSS in my 20g and the results are excellent. As for the cost?. How many shells do you shoot in a season? Probably why they sell them in 5 packs. I think everyone needs to try the TSS. My only concern is that since TSS hits hard and kills at greater distance woodsmanship and ethics suffer.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.