OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wyoming To Move Turkey Opener Back One week

Started by NCL, March 19, 2021, 10:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

I receive a news letter from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department and todays had an article that Wyoming will be moving the opening date back one week in four of the turkey hunt areas. Only area 3 will maintain the earlier opening date. The article said the date was moved back specifically to move hunting pressure later in the breeding cycle which allow "more unfettered mating". The article went on to say this late date will allow for more successful breeding. I know this has been discussed in several other threads but it seems to be spreading to other other states

joey46

That should cause some scrambling around for the WY outfitters.  They extended the season last year.  Glad they are paying attention.

Dtrkyman

Sounds good, being proactive shows some attention to what is going on in the field!

huntineveryday

When does Wyoming typically open thier season?

I couldn't find an answer quickly online and was wondering how our dates here in Nebraska compare.

old3toe

Sounds like the turkey population decline is well known about all across the board and not just by the sportsmen and hunters. Theres an awful lot of changes going on this year and next. I'd be fine with Kentucky going to a one bird spring limit for a while or at least one bird first part of the season and second in the latter part. We've got to protect those birds somehow.

WyoHunter

Area 1 and Area 2 open April 20 which is 3 weeks later than the past years and close May31. See WY G & F for more info.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

huntineveryday

Quote from: WyoHunter on March 20, 2021, 05:25:21 PM
Area 1 and Area 2 open April 20 which is 3 weeks later than the past years and close May31.

Thanks. Nebraska shotgun season opens April 17th. It seems like the turkeys are breeding during that timeframe every year. 

Archery opens next week, March 25th, and youth season opens the 10th. I doubt the number of turkeys killed during those two seasons amounts to enough to change things on a large scale, but on individual properties it could be having a negative impact.

I will be interested to see how the changes states are making affects turkey numbers. If it works, it should seem to make an impact pretty quickly, as long as nesting season weather cooperates.