OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Vortex red dot Razor or Venom?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
Vortex red dot Razor or Venom?
« on: March 18, 2021, 01:18:42 PM »
Anyone's thoughts on if they had to choose between the two...Thinking Razor because of the sliding battery tray vs the cover anatomy of the Venom and Burris fast fire lll, easily strips if not careful... I own a Burris now, no issues. Want to try Vortex, good warranty

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Vortex red dot Razor or Venom?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 03:40:20 PM »
Either will work fine. I have the venom with 0 issues. The Razor should be solid as well. Hope whichever you get works flawless .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline TalksToTurkeys

• Longbeard
  • Lycoming Co. Pa.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 12:56:03 AM »
I have a Venom and a Razor, as well as an FF3.
The Venom is an improvement over the FF3. You won't have any problems with the battery cover if you know how to get fine threads started without cross threading them.
I used a SumToy base to mount it to my SA20 Turkey.
With the Razor you are paying for better quality glass, but you lose auto brightness, and the buttons are moved to the location where the battery cover is on the FF3 and Venom.
You can lock down the adjustments after sighting it in. It has a different footprint than the FF3 and Venom. I used an EGW .670 Universal Razor base to mount it on my SXP Longbeard 20 ga.
You can't go wrong with either one. Good luck with your decision.

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 07:37:34 AM »
Thank you, great information...

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 09:04:51 AM »
I have a Venom and a Razor, as well as an FF3.
The Venom is an improvement over the FF3. You won't have any problems with the battery cover if you know how to get fine threads started without cross threading them.
I used a SumToy base to mount it to my SA20 Turkey.
With the Razor you are paying for better quality glass, but you lose auto brightness, and the buttons are moved to the location where the battery cover is on the FF3 and Venom.
You can lock down the adjustments after sighting it in. It has a different footprint than the FF3 and Venom. I used an EGW .670 Universal Razor base to mount it on my SXP Longbeard 20 ga.
You can't go wrong with either one. Good luck with your decision.

Great info. I totally eliminated the FF3 battery cover issue by using Duracell batteries only. They  fit better, no more issues, cover stays tight.. hope this helps...
“Solo hunter”

Offline TalksToTurkeys

• Longbeard
  • Lycoming Co. Pa.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 10:06:35 PM »
I didn't know that about Duracell batteries. I've been using Energizers. I only have one left so I'm going to get a pack of Duracell 2032's and mic them to see what the difference is.     :funnyturkey:

Replying to a pm on the correct way to start fine threads:

I thought it was common knowledge that you rotate the cover counter clockwise while applying a little downward pressure until the threads fall into place. You can feel and maybe hear it click when they line up. Then, while maintaining downward pressure, turn clockwise until tight.