turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blasted copper or bronze vs unblasted

Started by PAstevedave, March 18, 2021, 11:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAstevedave

I've made a dozen or so calls in the past and was wondering how people felt about blasted vs unblasted copper and bronze.

I just got two frying pan style bronze toppers for a Cocobolo call I'm making and it just got me wondering if people had a preference.

M,Yingling

personally  i never cared for any thing that was blasted weather it was glass aluminum or copper ,,, always felt i got better turkey sound from a conditioned surface   
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

ChesterCopperpot

I'm with Mike. I don't like anything blasted. Plays dead to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

870BkWht

I dont make calls to be honest.  That being said, Ive bought, traded, and played a ton of calls over the years and have developed personal preferences much like anyone else. 

Blasted glass and aluminum are the only blasted surfaces ive ever put a striker to and to be blunt no matter who the maker was, the blasted surface just plain sucked compared to a plain surface that had been conditioned with sandpaper, stone, scotchbrite, etc. 

If i were a call maker or having someone make me a call, I wouldn't spend my money on frying pan or blasted surfaces.

Meleagris gallopavo

I have a blasted brass and I've listened to a few blasted aluminum.  I'm actually getting a blasted aluminum.  I just think they sound different.  Not bad, just different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

PAstevedave

I did a plain frying pan just to see what it's like.  Should be out of the clamps tomorrow evening.  I'll be interested to see how she sounds.

The blasted copper I did is actually wearing smooth where I play it so I was wondering if there's even a benefit to blasted at all. ???????????

Cut*N*Run

I've never tried blasted copper or brass (done a bunch with scratched though) so take this for what it's worth but I've found that I get more rasp with scratched vs. blasted. Scratched glass and aluminum give me way more rasp than the blasted versions of either.