OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First Wingbone Calls  (Read 2229 times)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
First Wingbone Calls
« on: March 18, 2021, 10:36:12 AM »
Just made my first two Wingbone calls.  Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: First Wingbone Calls
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 10:47:35 AM »
Two-part putty to smooth out your joints and then finished up over that however you see fit. I’ve wrapped with cordage and painted the hardened putty. But I’ve also been told by perhaps the best wingbone man alive (EZ, hint, hint) that my finishing work leaves much to be desired The putty works great though to smooth out the joints, then you just need to be competent with thread work (something I lack in abundance: competency in much of anything).

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 11:58:39 AM »
Two-part putty to smooth out your joints and then finished up over that however you see fit. I’ve wrapped with cordage and painted the hardened putty. But I’ve also been told by perhaps the best wingbone man alive (EZ, hint, hint) that my finishing work leaves much to be desired The putty works great though to smooth out the joints, then you just need to be competent with thread work (something I lack in abundance: competency in much of anything).

Thanks!  I got a long way to go but the learning part sure is fun!

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 08:55:47 PM »
There's a lot you can do to make them prettier if you want to, but if they sound good, that's the most important thing, also the fun of hunting with a call you made. The pretty is for you and me, pretty ain't never impressed a turkey. You are off to a good start. Congratulations

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 07:08:47 AM »
I'd say for your first attempt, you did pretty good. I can tell from the pics that the length of each bone and the over all length (the most important) looks like they should run pretty good.
I made a ton of them years ago without smoothing and wrapping the joints. What you can do if you don't want to put a lot of work into it is #1, sand them well with 150 grit, then 220. Smooth off all the edges and especially the mouth piece.
Mix up a little five minute epoxy and with a toothpick, put a little "bead" around those joints. You'll have to do one at a time and keep turning the call until it dries, but that will add some strength and it will look nicer.

Sign it and date it and hit it with a shot of clear.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »
There's a lot you can do to make them prettier if you want to, but if they sound good, that's the most important thing, also the fun of hunting with a call you made. The pretty is for you and me, pretty ain't never impressed a turkey. You are off to a good start. Congratulations
Thanks!

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 09:30:31 AM »
I'd say for your first attempt, you did pretty good. I can tell from the pics that the length of each bone and the over all length (the most important) looks like they should run pretty good.
I made a ton of them years ago without smoothing and wrapping the joints. What you can do if you don't want to put a lot of work into it is #1, sand them well with 150 grit, then 220. Smooth off all the edges and especially the mouth piece.
Mix up a little five minute epoxy and with a toothpick, put a little "bead" around those joints. You'll have to do one at a time and keep turning the call until it dries, but that will add some strength and it will look nicer.

Sign it and date it and hit it with a shot of clear.
Thanks!

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 12:31:21 AM »
They look good they aren’t my cup of tea I personally haven’t been a fan of the 3 piece bone I take the top bone and either find a certain empty shotgun hull and stick it in every hull will have a different sound I have some in a trimmed 12 gauges others sounded better in 16

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
They look good they aren’t my cup of tea I personally haven’t been a fan of the 3 piece bone I take the top bone and either find a certain empty shotgun hull and stick it in every hull will have a different sound I have some in a trimmed 12 gauges others sounded better in 16
Thanks!  I will try that on the next set of wings I get!