turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lead Shot Only

Started by Vintage, March 17, 2021, 10:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

It has been my impression that the "lead only" chokes are far safer to use with smaller shot sizes...

There is a considerable difference between the force put on the barrel between shooting BB steel shot, and #6 Hevi-shot...

One of the differences is, that lead "gives," and a lot of the non-toxic is far harder and does not give.  Forcing larger pellets at high speeds that do not give, is a bit different than pushing smaller shot sizes.

I have heard of and seen barrels destroyed by shooting steel through tight chokes, but have yet to hear of or see a barrel destroyed by smaller shot sizes...  This thread is the first I have heard of such happening?

I would be curious as to the wads and shot sizes of those on these forums that have destroyed barrels and chokes?  Has anyone actually had choke/barrel damage done with any shot sizes smaller than #4's?????

One exception is an old Model 37 I have in which the barrel was threaded for very thin chokes.  Apparently the material in in the chokes, combined with with how thin the chokes are, could be damaged by using steel...  I honestly doubt it, but have not had the courage to experiment (as the chokes are paper-thin).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

lowoctane

:morning:
I bought a used tube off of a member here that was swelled and after checking with a few tube makers they all said it's a lead only tube and the only way that it would swell was that it been used for non lead loads...so I was left with nothing.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

dirtnap

Quote from: Vintage on March 19, 2021, 09:26:38 PM
I was thinking that Remington did't want steel shot fired through those chokes.

That is kinda what I was thinking as well.  I've never heard of one getting torn up from HW 7 or TSS.

Mallard1897

My impression was the restriction was due to steel's higher hardness and velocity, while usually being several shot sizes larger than lead. Whenever I've patterned steel shot and steel/tungsten blended shot I always got what would be a full pattern with lead shot using a modified choke because it patterns tighter than lead. If heard several stories of blown out or seized on chokes using too tight a constriction with steel.

TSS is several times harder than lead shot and steel for that matter so I could see issue shooting it through weaker steel alloy or thin walled chokes. No matter the the size of TSS, it was my understanding that it was unsafe to use any in older shotguns for that reason. That's why I use bismuth to waterfowl hunt with my older shotgun.

That being said the manufacturer knows the capability of their product and it's foolish not follow their instructions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ihuntoldschool

Sure, what's the worst that can happen? Blow your barrel to pieces or cause a bulge?

mountaineer long beard

Well here's a question. I have a Primos Jelly Head that says "not to be used with steel shot" would it be OK to shoot TSS or Hevi-shot through it?

Mike

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: lowoctane on March 20, 2021, 06:28:30 AM
:morning:
I bought a used tube off of a member here that was swelled and after checking with a few tube makers they all said it's a lead only tube and the only way that it would swell was that it been used for non lead loads...so I was left with nothing.  :camohat:
Was the member in good standing with the rules for selling? Did you contact him after the issue and if so how did he reply? How did you pay? If Paypal you could have gotten your money back. I hope you reported the member to Shannon?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

saltysenior

Quote from: mountaineer long beard on March 20, 2021, 06:44:25 PM
Well here's a question. I have a Primos Jelly Head that says "not to be used with steel shot" would it be OK to shoot TSS or Hevi-shot through it?

Mike

to be sure , wouldn't it be better to call Primos on your SM-G970U..???

mountaineer long beard

Quote from: saltysenior on March 20, 2021, 09:26:11 PM
Quote from: mountaineer long beard on March 20, 2021, 06:44:25 PM

Mike

to be sure , wouldn't it be better to call Primos on your SM-G970U..???
Yes it would. Thank you.

dirtnap

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 20, 2021, 06:21:31 PM
Sure, what's the worst that can happen? Blow your barrel to pieces or cause a bulge?

Have you or anyone you know had a barrel blow to pieces or a bulged barrel as a result of shooting TSS through a Remington super full choke ?  That is the question I was asking specifically.

I've just never heard of it.

Dtrkyman

Not recommending anyone shoot non approved chokes with anything other than suggested, I do however have an old jelly head that has dozens of rounds of hevi shot through it and it is good as new.  Even shot some Hevi coyote b and T shot in it.

The lead only chokes many were made before hevi shot and all the others so they were referring to large steel most likely.

With all the quality chokes available today I would just buy one that is made for it.

I have never seen any choke blown up or even swelled and I worked a gun shop for years and saw all kind of stupid stuff!

Ihuntoldschool

Have you or anyone you know had a barrel blow to pieces or a bulged barrel as a result of shooting TSS through a Remington super full choke ?  That is the question I was asking specifically.

Me personally? Of course not, I wouldn't shoot the stuff through any barrel/choke. 
There have been plenty of choke tubes destroyed with softer/less dense shot than TSS.  It's obviously a calculated risk you take when you shoot shot that hard. 
As the constriction amount increases so does said risk. The same thing can be said the more shots you fire.  It's rarely one shot that causes problems, it's a cumulative effect.
Do I think the Remington tube is any weaker than other similar superfull tubes? No of course not, most all are made with the same strength stainless steel.
That's why I said worst case scenario...   Not MOST likely scenario.