turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lead Shot Only

Started by Vintage, March 17, 2021, 10:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage

Can I shoot TSS through a Remington choke that say's Lead Shot Only.

Gooserbat

I have and it shot very good.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bowguy

Idk is your TSS lead? Pretty obvious answer no? Chokes labeled lead only are to be shot w lead per the manufacturer.  You could always ask Remington though. I'd be interested in hearing what they say.

THattaway

Could swell the choke and possibly damage the barrel. Don't ask me how I know.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

joey46

These discussions came up big time when HEVI 13 hit the market.  Pretty much came down to nobody would commit for fear of a law suit.  Times don't change in a litigious society.  You're on your own.  Good luck. :turkey2:

joey46

Quote from: THattaway on March 18, 2021, 06:30:26 AM
Could swell the choke and possibly damage the barrel. Don't ask me how I know.

If I'm remembering post from year's past the lead only chokes could be making a one way trip.  They would screw in as usual but after a few shots with not recommended loads not screw out again. 

Goblen

Pretty simple really. Follow the manufacture directions or damage could occur.

Wvdanimal

I wouldn't try it. I saw what happened to my friend's IC choke with the old flight control wads, nasty! Modern choke is cheaper than a  new gun ... or an eye.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Bowguy on March 18, 2021, 05:26:22 AM
Idk is your TSS lead? Pretty obvious answer no? Chokes labeled lead only are to be shot w lead per the manufacturer.  You could always ask Remington though. I'd be interested in hearing what they say.

They'll probably say nothing since they're out of business.

Old Gobbler

Over the years...I've seen quite a good number of destroyed choke tubes posted right here on this site , thats just the ones I've SEEN ... it is very reasonable to assume there is quite a bit more nobody even knows about

Some of the chokes were catastrophic failures where they peeled right open and destroying the barrel in the process

Various types of shells were used ...you got to be careful these days

Yes ...as previously mentioned,  there is lawyers hiding behind every stop sign and tree in this country ...we know  a man lost his home for allowing someone to fall out of his treestand....true story ...lawyers

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Bowguy

Quote from: Turkeytider on March 18, 2021, 06:43:35 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 18, 2021, 05:26:22 AM

They'll probably say nothing since they're out of business.

Remington isn't out of business. They just have new owners.

dirtnap

I just looked at my Remington Super Full choke and it says lead only.  I've shot HW 7's and TSS for years through it and not had any problems.  I didn't realize people had issues.  I have that same choke in 2 guns that get hunted daily in the spring.   Probably been over a hundred HW 7's or TSS 9's shot through them.

Has anyone specifically had an issue with the Remington factory super full choke ?

Vintage

I was thinking that Remington did't want steel shot fired through those chokes.

roberthyman14

Ive been shooting tss through my star bright choke. So far so good. I guess I need to search for another choke tube.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Sir-diealot

I believe in what it says, not somebody else's opinion. Safety precautions are there for a reason, you know, like don't look down the barrel of a loaded gun.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."