turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Florida hunters

Started by Wvdanimal, March 16, 2021, 10:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wvdanimal

FLORIDA! Guys I can't stress enough that when and if you get the chance to visit the state to hunt,  take full advantage of everything the area has to offer. You can combine so much outdoor activities with a turkey hunt it's unbelievable. The fishing this time of year is phenomenal, kill a hog or 2 just to help management.  Take out some of the coon and possums to help predation. Did I mention rabbits are everywhere and very good eating? Make your Osceola trip a complete adventure! Then  "if" you're lucky enough to find spare time,  the family will appreciate time on the beach or shopping to keep everyone appeased. Don't just view it as  a turkey hunt only hunt  and all will be happy!

squidd

Don't forget Disney, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens and the Space Coast.

Marc

Quote from: Wvdanimal on March 16, 2021, 10:30:27 PM
The fishing this time of year is phenomenal
What kind of fishing and where?

I lived in (South) Florida for 4 years, and never found the fishing to be "prime-time" in February or March?  Bass fishing could be decent, but the ocean fishing generally picked up around June (at least in my area).

I do know that iguana hunting with a pellet rifle is quickly becoming a popular activity there...  Terribly invasive species that actually tastes good, with plenty of targets to shoot.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

Quote from: Marc on March 17, 2021, 12:30:45 PM
Quote from: Wvdanimal on March 16, 2021, 10:30:27 PM
The fishing this time of year is phenomenal
What kind of fishing and where?

I lived in (South) Florida for 4 years, and never found the fishing to be "prime-time" in February or March?  Bass fishing could be decent, but the ocean fishing generally picked up around June (at least in my area).

I do know that iguana hunting with a pellet rifle is quickly becoming a popular activity there...  Terribly invasive species that actually tastes good, with plenty of targets to shoot.
Flats fishing!  Trout and reds really turn it on this time of year and if you are there right when the temp is first right, it can be great.  May be in creeks, may be on mud or grass flats.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

quavers59

Visit the Gaskins  Museum near Fish Eating Creek if it is still open.

bbcoach

Quote from: squidd on March 17, 2021, 05:06:23 AM
Don't forget Disney, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens and the Space Coast.
Or NOT!!!

squidd

No really - plenty of turkeys walking around all those prime locations :turkey2:

Wvdanimal

We slayed the "specs" as they're referred to there. Crappie around my area. We did really well on bass in ponds but it was too windy to get on the lakes or saltwater. 

g8rvet

Quote from: Wvdanimal on March 17, 2021, 05:07:25 PM
We slayed the "specs" as they're referred to there. Crappie around my area. We did really well on bass in ponds but it was too windy to get on the lakes or saltwater.
"specs" here also mean Spotted Seatrout aka Speckled Seatrout.  Lots of folks still call them specks too.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Crghss

Florida is a big state. This is always great fishing somewhere in Florida, it just depends if it is near you at that particular time.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

treein dixie

What guide service accommodates all those adventures or is even close for you to plan your self?

Wvdanimal

My "guide" is a lifelong resident who has private access, huge swamp buggy and a really nice boat lol... pretty much everything we do down there involves some kinda outdoors.  Oh, i forgot to mention gators we have taken but that's not during turkey season.

Wvdanimal

Sorry, I really didn't answer the question,  but nearly all of the turkey outfitters can also put you on hogs for cheap.  If they don't offer an option for fishing,  they will know someone who can take you. Even if you're hunting DIY, you can do the same w fishing, although limited without a boat. We saw people catching crappie frm the bank at the boat ramp.

Stoeger_bird

On my way Florida right now. Going to Disney tomorrow and hunting Saturday and Sunday while the wife and daughter spend my money!
T.W.D.W.D.

Wvdanimal

You da man! My 11yr old daughter values the trip for the pool , star bucks and the mall while I'm hunting.