OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ammunition prices

Started by ManfromGreenSwamp, March 16, 2021, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Quote from: MO_HUNTER on March 17, 2021, 07:06:03 AM
Glad I stockpiled some!

Same here!  Just before youth deer season last year, I tried to find some more Hornady low recoil slugs for my son, but none were available locally.  And the few places I found them online had them priced like they were TSS.  It was actually cheaper for me to just buy a new 350 Legend bolt action and several boxes of ammo the store had in stock.  I'm glad I did, because by the time the regular deer season rolled around, there was no 350 Legend ammo anywhere.

BMAC_Turkeys

Its not about the ability to make more, there is no supply.  Just like all things, covid shut down a lot of plants, not only the ammo manufacturing ones but also ones that supply materials to them.  So they are shut down, they are getting behind, cant get materials and now if they are up full and running again they have the orders from when they are closed and the ones that are happening now bc of all the increased demand and back orders.  An ammo company might make 300 win mag at one point in the year, make a certain ammt and send it out.  then re tool for the next caliber.  Now they are only going to make the calibers that are selling and high demand.  Thats why you cant find certain calibers  and with the hughe increase of new gun owners also looking for ammo, they are so far behind it will take a year or more to catch up.  I do not see the light at the end of this tunnel. 

JMalin

Ammo is currency if society collapses.  I imagine it'll hold its value as well as anything else in an inflationary environment.  I'm glad I bought three inch federal heavyweight 7's from Roger's last year.  Have enough to last me a decade or more of spring seasons.

Marc

Ammunition companies are currently taking some advantage of the supply/demand issues...  Of course inflation fits in there as well.

But, I promise the current administration is not unhappy about this.  There is no doubt that if the gun and ammunition companies continue to take advantage of this with price gouging that more and more hunters (and shooters) will find other more affordable and accessible activities to engage in...

California could not get the guns so they went after the ammunition, and now I feel like this progressive administration is following along the same lines.  They might not be able to get our guns, but they can make ammunition (and guns) unaffordable and/or unaccessible.

The short-term gains will eventually turn into long-term losses.  I have to think that now would be a terrific time for a smaller company to enter the market with competitive pricing with good profit margins....   And make the larger companies start to scramble a bit.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ManfromGreenSwamp

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 17, 2021, 08:10:46 AM
Quote from: ManfromGreenSwamp on March 17, 2021, 07:11:59 AM
And.....

if history repeats itself.
The shelves will be restocked one day, prices just above normal again and everyone will be happy with the new normal "cheap" ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To a degree I agree with this. However when prices rise in a controled market it is unusual for prices to return to there prior normal. Same issues are impacting gas although the variables are a bit different.

These up spikes in price are becoming more and more regular. Anyone really interested in smoothing the curve should consider reloading. I reload with TSS for shotguns. I also reload for my rifles and pistols. Sure glad they are not charging CC fees on those 99.00 shells as that would be a sure deal breaker for me.  LOL
This is kinda what I meant with "new normal"
I'm not good at articulating in text what I mean lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Turkeytider

Quote from: Marc on March 17, 2021, 12:20:40 PM
Ammunition companies are currently taking some advantage of the supply/demand issues...  Of course inflation fits in there as well.

But, I promise the current administration is not unhappy about this.  There is no doubt that if the gun and ammunition companies continue to take advantage of this with price gouging that more and more hunters (and shooters) will find other more affordable and accessible activities to engage in...

California could not get the guns so they went after the ammunition, and now I feel like this progressive administration is following along the same lines.  They might not be able to get our guns, but they can make ammunition (and guns) unaffordable and/or unaccessible.

The short-term gains will eventually turn into long-term losses.  I have to think that now would be a terrific time for a smaller company to enter the market with competitive pricing with good profit margins....   And make the larger companies start to scramble a bit.

Sure, there`s more than one way to skin the gun control cat. Jack up the cost to the average Joe and/or make procuring and owning a firearm a colossal PITA. You don`t have to confiscate a thing. Might take a while, but it`s " death by a thousand cuts ".

TauntoHawk

I won't be buying any ammo this year, see where things continue to go from here. I certainly don't have enough to last a lifetime but I won't be taking part in that nonsense. I'd rather start shooting them with my bow and reusable ammo

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Paulmyr

If ammo companies are kicking ammo out as fast as they say they are where is it all going? Nobody has anything in stock and I haven't found any place to order it. Who's getting all this ammo that is supposedly on backorder?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

albrubacker

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 17, 2021, 11:44:51 AM
Quote from: MO_HUNTER on March 17, 2021, 07:06:03 AM
Glad I stockpiled some!

Same here!  Just before youth deer season last year, I tried to find some more Hornady low recoil slugs for my son, but none were available locally.  And the few places I found them online had them priced like they were TSS.  It was actually cheaper for me to just buy a new 350 Legend bolt action and several boxes of ammo the store had in stock.  I'm glad I did, because by the time the regular deer season rolled around, there was no 350 Legend ammo anywhere.
that 350 is the cats meow for kids. Have one for my kids and they love shooting it! Heck I like shooting it.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Happy

I guess we can try and look on the bright side. America is becoming very well armed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Next, we will see shortage in BB guns/BB, pellet rifles/ pellets and paint ball guns/ paint balls.

Tom007

We all have the ability to reload our own......then there will be a shortage of reloading equipment and components....

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

We are already there on reloading components.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

POk3s

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 17, 2021, 11:44:34 AM
Quote from: POk3s on March 17, 2021, 10:43:32 AM
Jeez! Makes me feel better than I bought my heavi shot at $37/box! I cringed doing that but at least I had some. I also bought 3 boxes of .300 win mag at $71/box and nearly broke down in tears. This is the first time in my adult life I've seen this kind of craziness. I remember it happening during the start of the Obama administration but was in my teens and didn't really feel that sticker shock. I know I will be more like you all and not necessarily stockpile, but I won't be turning my nose up when the ammo I need is "low" priced.
Just found this on federals website. I just picked up 2 boxes.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I shoot the Barnes TTSX out of my gun. It loves it.

I should add that I came across the same info mentioned early from Remington's (I believe) ammo manufacturer. They said they are making rounds as fast as possible and to remember they came from more of a gun friendly administration to this one where their sales were down 40%. That, mixed with COVID and having a depleted workforce meant that they were really behind the 8 ball when demand skyrocketed. They're trying, and as quick as they can make it, people are buying it.

Goblen