turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call me crazy

Started by Mossyguy, March 16, 2021, 11:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossyguy

But I let 3 longbeards walk this morning. We've had some rain the last few days with more on tap for today. Since I'm filming I decided to go sit in a blind over a food plot and if nothing else just scout. I didn't hear anything on the roost. About 45 minutes after daylight it came a downpour and 3 gobblers with a few hens show up and man they looked like they just swam out of the pond. They got to within 10 yards of me but I didn't even pick my gun up. I decided to wait for a prettier day and maybe they will be more vocal and show off more. I guess the older I get pulling the trigger isn't the most important thing to me anymore....and wet gobblers take horrible pictures..lol.

kloppy

Good for you man. Success is subjective and for many, the kill is secondary. I am by no means old but I find myself passing up shots more and more, especially on deer. You know when the time is right.

Old Timer

Not crazy. Enjoy the hunt!

Howie g

Need more like you here in ms ... kudos

2eagles

btomlin

Good on you....if you are going to make memories, they just as well be pretty ones! 

I shot a gobbler once during a snow.  He come in silent but I went ahead and shot him as I thought "what a memory and I will have an awesome picture to remember it with all the snow".  Well, I shot him.  He flopped into a running creek and my winter wonderland photo looked more like a drowned rat laid out on the snow.  Good Grief....I have the memory, I guess.  LOL.

bbcoach

GOOD FOR YOU!  Great hunt IMO!!  It's not about the Kill, it's about the EXPERIENCES we have when we hunt.

kytrkyhntr

That's awesome, I wish I had that kind of self control. Sadly if it was my first tag of the season I think I woulda tried to pack one out with me  :z-guntootsmiley:
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Hwd silvestris

Yep you crazy! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goblen

You not crazy at all. A few years ago I shot one in a similar situation. Afterwards I regretted it. I've gotten somehow only too fell excited if I call one up. Anyone can ambush one, Imo. Just doesn't feel right.

Dtrkyman

We shall see if you fill that tag or not!

Whatever turns your crank, I have passed on doubles to extend my hunt.

guesswho

Well played.   Kill him on your terms.   Besides, wet gobblers taste funny.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BMAC_Turkeys

Hopefully the turkey gods saw your act of charity and will reward you greatly.

TonyTurk

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 16, 2021, 02:12:28 PM
We shall see if you fill that tag or not!

Whatever turns your crank, I have passed on doubles to extend my hunt.

I shot a double once.  It was cool and I enjoyed it.  But I will probably not do it again. 

Like you said, holding off gives you more days to hunt! 

When I was younger, I wanted to shoot a bearded hen someday.  I never did, and now I no longer have the desire to do so.  There are too few turkeys as it is.

Tail Feathers

Crazy.  But a good crazy.  Hunt on your terms.   :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!