OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hen Box chalk  (Read 2469 times)

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Hen Box chalk
« on: March 16, 2021, 11:41:50 AM »
Question for those of you guys that run hen boxes what is your preferred chalk for them? Or do you just use the same chalk for every type of box call you own and if so what type? I know this can all be personal preference just trying to get an idea. Thanks guys.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
Re: Hen Box chalk
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 12:12:21 PM »
My personal preference is for the Dixon red railroad chalk.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 01:52:48 PM »
I have always been told to use the red railroad chalk, the one exceptions is that Mr. Fetters sent his with the white railroad chalk. I know some people like the blue chalk, I have never used that on a longbox though, only short boxes and scratch boxes and my tongue call.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:56:58 PM »
X2 for Red Railroad chalk,  I use it on all my boxes.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 04:47:24 PM »
I think I have a box of white railroad chalk? Been a while since I looked at it, but it works really good.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 06:21:39 PM »
I am sorry, I read that longbox for some reason.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 06:28:22 PM »
Appreciate all the feedback gonna go with the white railroad chalk.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 08:07:40 PM »
Red

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 02:08:04 AM »
How about "Rain Chalk?"

Out of the chalks discussed, I am not certain there is a significant difference...  But I do have a preference for the "red chalk."
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 05:37:08 AM »
How about "Rain Chalk?"

Out of the chalks discussed, I am not certain there is a significant difference...  But I do have a preference for the "red chalk."
I talked to TJ Johnson about rain chalk on the 2 calls I have from him. A fiddle and longbox and he said he didn't recommend it at least on his calls. I do know some people swear by it. But he knows more about calls then I do. So I took his advice he recommended Irwin white railroad chalk. That's why I said I was going to go with white chalk. But on a henbox they seem to like a heavier layer of chalk then other box calls so I may stick with the red chalk that I recieved with the call. I was more so just trying to get a feel for what everyone liked on the henboxes but wanted to get an idea of other style box calls also.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 08:32:36 AM »
I was fortunate enough to visit Richard Hudson at his shop before he left TN.  Richard scores the underside of his lids.  There is something about how the red chalk adheres to those lids on his hen boxes.  He gave me enough of the old half moon red chalk pieces to last a lifetime.  A lot of the other type boxes I have came with white chalk.  Outside of the hen boxes, I'm curious what others recommend.  That may be a different post.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »
I was fortunate enough to visit Richard Hudson at his shop before he left TN.  Richard scores the underside of his lids.  There is something about how the red chalk adheres to those lids on his hen boxes.  He gave me enough of the old half moon red chalk pieces to last a lifetime.  A lot of the other type boxes I have came with white chalk.  Outside of the hen boxes, I'm curious what others recommend.  That may be a different post.
Yeah Mr. Hudson lived about 10 minutes from me. Didn't get to meet him until right before he moved.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 03:52:37 PM »
Old red brick chalk on the hen boxes and the same for the short boxes. I will also mix little white with the red sometimes depend on the sound I'm wanting from the call. The only white chalk i will use is Waltham Chalk very hard to find and for the red Dixion 77701 ... if you can find any of this chalk that's what you want. What was left of this chalk was left in warehouses , because the factory Burned.  I was fortunate, i bought case of each. Now another great chalk and it's another one you can't find or people have very little of is brown chalk in hemisphere shape. I had 5 of these and i gave a call builder mentioned in these post one of them.

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 04:00:49 PM »
Good info.  Maybe we can get some others to weigh in.