OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dave Smith Decoys

Started by ScottTaulbee, March 14, 2021, 11:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I broke down and purchased my first DSD a couple of weeks ago, a white face Jake, when it arrived the end of the beak hadn't molded in, when I contacted DSD they thought it was a hen and told me the head didn't have enough white either. They sent me a new decoy as a replacement for the "bad" decoy. It arrived today and the back feathers are a royal blue color. Surely this type of quality isn't common for them is it?. This is two decoys that I don't think are worth the premium they charge. Any one else have the same type experience or do I just have terrible luck?.
This is the head on the first decoy I bought

Noticeable difference

Here are the back feathers on the replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rakkin6

I have Avian X decoys but everything I have heard about the DSD has been positive. I would maybe give them nother chance. I know that people who use them love them. Best of luck brother.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

catman529

They still look better than any other decoy on the market. I don't use decoys so I can't really say much else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rakkin6

Quote from: catman529 on March 15, 2021, 12:40:23 AM
They still look better than any other decoy on the market. I don't use decoys so I can't really say much else

Catman you should be back over on TNDEER. What are you doing over here. Lol

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

TalknTurkey

I've bought several DSD's, only had one of them with an issue. I bought a strutter that was missing the cutout in the front where the beard goes. When I contacted them, they just told me to make a cut into the form and sent me a picture with where to put it. I tried this, but it didn't really turn out right and I never could get a beard to sit in there right. For a $200 deke, there shouldn't be any imperfections imo.

Turkeytider

Quote from: TalknTurkey on March 15, 2021, 02:17:10 AM
I've bought several DSD's, only had one of them with an issue. I bought a strutter that was missing the cutout in the front where the beard goes. When I contacted them, they just told me to make a cut into the form and sent me a picture with where to put it. I tried this, but it didn't really turn out right and I never could get a beard to sit in there right. For a $200 deke, there shouldn't be any imperfections imo.

Totally agree. I only have one DSD, a hen decoy. I think they`re very good. Also have a hen and 1/4 strut jake from Primos that have worked just as well. Dekes for open areas and fields only.

Dtrkyman

Pics on their site show blue there, it is a non issue. The first decoy head looked a bit lame and was not what you ordered.

I have had mine 10 or so years and the abuse it has taken is ridiculous, even been shot partially by a youth hunter, still as good as new, when the first bird this spring suicides the decoy and you kill him you will forget all about it!

It is in storage otherwise I would check the coloring.

deadbuck

To original poster, I see dead turkeys in your future.  They will work like magic just like they are.

RutnNStrutn

I have 3 DSD's. A feeding hen, an upright hen and a jake. All 3 look and work great.
If I were you, I'd call DSD, raise hell and demand to speak to a manager.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Turkeytider

Quote from: deadbuck on March 15, 2021, 10:17:25 AM
To original poster, I see dead turkeys in your future.  They will work like magic just like they are.

Me too. I think you`ll forget all about it the first time a dominant tom attacks him.

redjones

If you end up calling ask for Brad,good guy.

Greg
Semper Fi

guesswho

No way would I accept that!   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

catman529

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 15, 2021, 01:08:08 AM
Quote from: catman529 on March 15, 2021, 12:40:23 AM

Catman you should be back over on TNDEER. What are you doing over here. Lol

That's a good question lol

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: TalknTurkey on March 15, 2021, 02:17:10 AM
I agree 100%. Especially considering this is two, not one that I've received with imperfections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk