Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The Happy Eggshell Challenge Cup

Started by GobbleNut, March 14, 2021, 10:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I figured as much. Thanks for the clarification gobblenut. And by the way you speak Russian very fluently. So well even I could understand it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

Go ahead and get that whopper, you earned it....you can use my tree as justification.

Here is my kill and score - 1 ash tree, weight approx 2,000 lbs, beard 40FT tall ; spurs (1st limbs) right 12", left 24" I haven't done this but one or twice in 48 years of turkey hunting, but I done it today.

Had turkzilla all figured out and was right. he came off the roost and headed my way. When he hit the field edge he started across just out of range, but two soft yelps on a gobblenut special
and he turned and came strutting. Only to stop perfectly in line with an ash tree 10 feet in front of me. I waited what seemed like an hour, but likely 15 minutes and his head and neck cleared at 35 yards.
I put the bead on him and squeezed. when I looked up he was still standing there looking dumbfounded. So I bead down again, but he runs and flies. I kicked myself all morning
why I didn't let him take a couple more steps.

Happy

Oh well, eggshell. It happens, as I told my shooter this morning. Just don't let it happen to much or the gobblers will start to get nervous around hen sounds and turn gay.

ManfromGreenSwamp

No no, it'd be a bad omen. Much like the buck beard of the fall seasons, one simply can't dine on breakfast treats until thine has takers thine own fowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

eggshell

well no  tree beard today, just this funny looking bird.

Should be tagged out in Ohio if not for the screw up yesterday, but oh well more hunting.
17 lb
2 beards 11.0625 and 4.5
left spur .75
right spur 1

Score 65.375

ManfromGreenSwamp

There goes the neighborhood....

-T.Farley

-B.Button

Happy

Quote from: ManfromGreenSwamp on April 24, 2021, 10:00:12 PM
No no, it'd be a bad omen. Much like the buck beard of the fall seasons, one simply can't dine on breakfast treats until thine has takers thine own fowl

The problem is I ain't trying to taketh my own fowl. I am trying to help others with the takething and their not helpething me helpeth themselves. It is verily and truly a bit vexing.

eggshell

Man everything is quiet, is everyone holding on to birds scores to dump all at once or is it a tough season/seasons for everyone.
Here in OHio it has been really quiet and not many active gobblers. Kentucky was the same way. I had to take a couple days off for some home repairs and medical
appointments. I'll get home today about mid morning, maybe I will slip out for a mid morning hunt.

My season just got cut down last night. We are putting a new roof and full front porch on the house starting in two weeks. My wife wants to go to
South Dakota to visit our daughter before then, so I have one week left to hunt. Now I'm over being picky. It comes it dies.

ManfromGreenSwamp

Quote from: eggshell on April 28, 2021, 06:19:48 AM
Man everything is quiet, is everyone holding on to birds scores to dump all at once or is it a tough season/seasons for everyone.
Here in OHio it has been really quiet and not many active gobblers. Kentucky was the same way. I had to take a couple days off for some home repairs and medical
appointments. I'll get home today about mid morning, maybe I will slip out for a mid morning hunt.

My season just got cut down last night. We are putting a new roof and full front porch on the house starting in two weeks. My wife wants to go to
South Dakota to visit our daughter before then, so I have one week left to hunt. Now I'm over being picky. It comes it dies.
Either they're having a bad year or don't hunt lol!

-T.Farley

-B.Button

Happy

I am still alive. Had a coworker just up and quit so I am slammed with work. I inherited all of his projects so its crazy busy right now.

GobbleNut

Sounds like some of us are having "issues" this spring...   :newmascot:
New Mexico report:  Just got back from my third round here in NM,...three trips out, and two have been cut short by weather that has been
unreal!  Been caught in two major snow storms in my three trips out, and when it isn't snowing, the wind has been howling. 
All in all, this spring has had the most adverse hunting conditions I have seen in decades.  Hoping things settle down in the last part of the season! 
...But at least I am getting to go!  ;D

Happy

Rub it in will ya? :)

eggshell

Filled my second Ohio Tag today. Now heading back to Ky.

21.25 lbs
10.125"
7/8"
1"

score 60.25

Happy

Alright here is one for you fellers. I am never one to shy away from a good laugh even at my expense.

Friday was a rough day. Had an employee quit a short time ago and I inherited his projects. It was pretty clear he had checked out before he actually quit. Anyways my crew was scheduled to work this weekend on a delicate task this weekend and we had to have it completed before Monday and people were back in the buildings. In the morning I received a text from my procurement guy asking how upset my superintendent would be if materials deliveries were delivered a few days late. My response was " a lot of sentence enhancers and adjectives" I then sent another text saying "and lots of f%$$#@"involved. Anyhow that message got sent to the wrong person which was a bit humorous as well.
Anyways by Friday night I was ready to hunt. I only had two hours of daylight in the morning but I needed to get out. After a pretty extensive effort I managed to get to my listening spot before daylight only to get greeted by silence. However about a mile away I could hear two gobblers letting loose about a mile away on another extremely steep mountain top. I picked up shop and moved in their direction quickly. Getting to the base I sized it up and began my ascent. It was rough going. I am talking about a 700 foot rise in elevation while only moving forward 300 yards. I know time is of the essence and push to the top. When I get up there I find a good spot in case they are close and started some cutting. One of the gobblers cut me off and then the other hit a few seconds later about a hundred yards out from him. I stayed tight and felt them out. They answered everything with enthusiasm but would not close. I quickly tried a few different angles and nothing worked. After a while they completed shut down. I glanced at my watch and it was time to go.
I figured someone heard the action and tried to sneak in but didn't hear any calling.
I mulled things over in the evening and develop a plan of attack. The plan was to scale the mountain again. Confirm where the were roosted and then wait for them to fly down, and then sneak in and call them back to the roost site. I figured they were hard hunted Tom's and would feel more comfortable coming to a spot they had just left.
My plan worked to perfection. Daylight sound me right near the chest of the mountain waiting. Tom #1 opened up directly above me about 100 yards up the mountain and about 30 yards from the lip. Tom #2 was about 100 yards to my right further along the crest. I stood silently and let them belt it out, waiting on flydown.
Tom #1 hit the ground, gobbled a few times and started moving away. I'm over as quickly and silently to the crest and slowly moved over. I saw the tree I figured he was rooster in and slid in close about 25 yards from the tree. Visibility wasn't the greatest but I had a few good lanes to about 25 yards. It was gonna be tight quarters but thats my game anyways. I let things settle down a few minutes and listened to him gobble again about 150 yards out. Some yelps brought an immediate response so sat and waited to see what he would do. He gobbled a few time and then his last gobble was further away still. I started yelping at him and some cutts and he answered immediately. I followed it up with a few yelps on a trumpet, he answered and I shut up. A few minutes later he gobbled about 100 yards out. A good booming gobble that caused my heart rate to pick up and for me to turn my sight on and switch my chew to my left cheek, (if your hunting with me that is a sign that things are about to get tropical).
I scatched the leaves a bit and gives some soft purrs. No response. It was silent for a few and the I picked up the spit and drum to my left a bit. Adjusting my gun I caught a quick glimpse of the upper two thirds of a full tail fan. A few seconds later it was a flash of moment and a big white head was sticking up behind the branches of a downed tree. He was looking hard but my dot was covering the opening to the right so I was ready. On cue he started creeping from my left to right looking. I could only see his head and neck but it was enough.
He walked right into my dot and I squeezed the trigger.
I let him flop for a few and then slowly walked over to take a look. Rolling him over I was shocked to see a short stubby beard, nubby spurs and a most full fan. Two feathers on the right side are still short. Packing him out I thought he felt a bit porky so I weighed him.
The official stats are 17 pounds, 10 ounces, 3/8" spurs and a 5" beard. I done shot me a super jake fellows. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if I had known but he gobbled like a big boy and what I saw of the fan said he was a big boy so he got it.
The jokes on me and I am chuckling, but 17 lbs of turkey is 17lbs of turkey.
Thats what I am telling myself to feel better anyways

eggshell

remember my rule.....Jakes count double score :TooFunny:

so not counting unmeasurable spurs thats still 44 pts. :z-winnersmiley:  Hey no one ever said no when I posted that rule, you all thought I was kidding  :goofball:

Sorry about the work being a crap pit, that makes it hard to enjoy your time you get. Oh how sweet retirement is!