OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Unbelievable

Started by kelley91, March 14, 2021, 07:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack86

After hearing alot of the dangers of alfatoxins I'd be scared to feed turkeys. I heard my state is blaming the decline on feeders.

kelley91

my point in posting that picture is that it shows one of the big reasons numbers are declining. During our past trapping season I caught 18 coons 10 or so possums and called in one coyote. Got work to do on the coyotes. All within a couple 100 yrds of that spot. I understand that is not the only problem. I can't control the weather or bulldozers but i can try to reduce predators. Just think about how many nest 18 coons would have destroyed

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: kelley91 on March 15, 2021, 06:57:27 AM
my point in posting that picture is that it shows one of the big reasons numbers are declining. During our past trapping season I caught 18 coons 10 or so possums and called in one coyote. Got work to do on the coyotes. All within a couple 100 yrds of that spot. I understand that is not the only problem. I can't control the weather or bulldozers but i can try to reduce predators. Just think about how many nest 18 coons would have destroyed
The feeder greatly increases the carrying capacity of the land. Cut out the corn and the coon and possum numbers go down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelley91

feeder only been up 3 wks . i was trapping during Dec and Jan.  With all due respect I don't think you realize how many coons they are

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: kelley91 on March 15, 2021, 01:35:50 PM
feeder only been up 3 wks . i was trapping during Dec and Jan.  With all due respect I don't think you realize how many coons they are
There's plenty of research that pinpoints increased scavenger numbers with the introduction of alternate food sources into a landscape. You may very well have trapped piles before you put the feeder out but you're not doing yourself any favors. If that piece of land already had enough food to support a hundred coons, it's now got enough to support 150. It's the whole nose to spite the face scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Feeder creates the perfect ambush point for the predators to set up and wait.  Plus a false food source is never a good thing.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

Quote from: kelley91 on March 15, 2021, 01:35:50 PM

Good job on the trapping. Keep it up.   If the feeder brings them in trap them up or shoot them.
The dang coons will destroy the nests. They do it in plenty of areas without feeders too and have no problem increasing their numbers.

Marc

A couple years back, I read some interesting studies on coyote control...

Coyotes eat and/or control populations of: opossums, raccoos, skunks, foxes, and to some degree bobcats, all of which are harder on upland populations than are coytoes...  Furthermore, when available, coyotes eat lots of rodents, which compete for upland game for food sources...

Bottem line was that the study showed that in similar areas, the upland populations were improved in areas without coyote control.

Other side of that story is that turkeys are not a typical upland game bird...  I know that coyotes actively hunt turkeys, cause I have called in too many coyotes with a turkey call.  And maybe a hen turkey could fend off nest stealers such as raccoons, opossums, and skunks???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

owlhoot

Quote from: Marc on March 15, 2021, 05:17:19 PM
A couple years back, I read some interesting studies on coyote control...

Coyotes eat and/or control populations of: opossums, raccoos, skunks, foxes, and to some degree bobcats, all of which are harder on upland populations than are coytoes...  Furthermore, when available, coyotes eat lots of rodents, which compete for upland game for food sources...

Bottem line was that the study showed that in similar areas, the upland populations were improved in areas without coyote control.

Other side of that story is that turkeys are not a typical upland game bird...  I know that coyotes actively hunt turkeys, cause I have called in too many coyotes with a turkey call.  And maybe a hen turkey could fend off nest stealers such as raccoons, opossums, and skunks???
Well the dang coyotes need to pick up their game!  Of course it is not easy for them, because coons and possum have that nasty habit of climbing trees. In the meantime they chase everything. Not many fox around anymore or rabbits, pheasants or quail. Predators getting at everything.
Never seen a 10lb hen fighting off a 25lb coon at the nest. Have any of you?

kelley91

not on this planet . a coon can be bad very bad.it just makes sense to me  that if you take a nest raider out it is going to help the turkey population, quail , song bird , or whatever. coyotes are hell on rabbits , young turkeys all small game.