OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ol’ Yeller and Old Glory Calls - crazy prices  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Gmed

Ol’ Yeller and Old Glory Calls - crazy prices
« on: March 12, 2021, 09:30:22 PM »
If a man knew then what he does now.....saw an original Ol’ Yeller sla trek on eBay go for more than $100.00. I have one of the Ol’ Yeller and a Primos Old Glory - both with the original green pots. Not sure how many birds have met their demise with them but I don’t think either was much over $20.00 when I bought them. If I had invested in a hundred of them, I could have sold them and gone on several nice hunts. Who would of thunk it????

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Re: Ol’ Yeller and Old Glory Calls - crazy prices
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 09:57:56 PM »
If a man knew then what he does now.....saw an original Ol’ Yeller sla trek on eBay go for more than $100.00. I have one of the Ol’ Yeller and a Primos Old Glory - both with the original green pots. Not sure how many birds have met their demise with them but I don’t think either was much over $20.00 when I bought them. If I had invested in a hundred of them, I could have sold them and gone on several nice hunts. Who would of thunk it????
I have 3 of the Old Glory calls

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 10:25:33 PM »
I took my green pot to Nashville a few years ago and had them sign it.  I also have one new in the package.

Knight and Hale by Steve  Torman, on Flickr
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Gmed

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 10:30:04 PM »
I took my green pot to Nashville a few years ago and had them sign it.  I also have one new in the package.

Knight and Hale by Steve  Torman, on Flickr

Man, that’s neat. They always seemed down to earth when you see them on TV....I love these calls....

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 11:36:12 PM »
I own one of each.  They do sound good. Crazy with those prices though.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 11:40:29 PM »
Still remember when I broke my first Ol Yeller by accidentally kneeling on it...the crunch made me sick to my stomach, as that call had been the bane of many a gobbler.  I have bought over a dozen since then, some new in package...but still hunt that call call pretty regular.  Mike Battey designed those calls for Primos (Ol Glory) and Knight & Hale (Ol Yeller).  EXCELLENT calls.

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 06:10:47 AM »
I had an Ol yeller (I thought the pot was black) and a lynch box I gave to a new hunter approx 15-18 years ago. I kick myself now for parting with those. He never really picked up the sport and I didn't want to ask for them back.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 06:16:57 AM »
The Mike Battey design for the Ol Yeller was the green pot.  When they parted ways, Mike still owned the patent on the design.  Knight and Hale changed the internals and made it in black and gold pots.  Wasn't quite the same.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 07:10:11 AM »
The Mike Battey design for the Ol Yeller was the green pot.  When they parted ways, Mike still owned the patent on the design.  Knight and Hale changed the internals and made it in black and gold pots.  Wasn't quite the same.
Good info

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 08:03:56 AM »

That is not correct.  Mike designed the first black pot, the second green pot, and the third (first) yellow pot in the Ol Yeller series.  Look at the hole configurations in the back of the pots if you don't understand what a Battey competition cup pot looks like.

Offline jmart241

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »
We've killed alot with mine still use mine cant put away didnt pay 15.00 for mine have a new one in package

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »

That is not correct.  Mike designed the first black pot, the second green pot, and the third (first) yellow pot in the Ol Yeller series.  Look at the hole configurations in the back of the pots if you don't understand what a Battey competition cup pot looks like.
Thanks for clarification. I had the black one way before I saw a green one.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 05:58:23 PM »
It is crazy.  I’ve posted pot calls on this site I couldn’t get half what I paid for them. Custom and production calls. Put them on eBay and get more that I originally paid.

Found two lowman thunder dome ceramic calls a few years back. Setting on the self so long the plastic was yellowing.
Got them both for $19. One sold for $75 the other over $100.

After season I search for marked down calls in places that sell them.

Picked up quite a few Knight and Hale moonshiner calls for $20 average. They are now discontinued and are one of the best production calls I’ve heard.
Don’t hesitate to buy one if you see it.

Offline Gmed

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 06:42:16 PM »
One would think, if “SlaTek” surface calls are bringing such a premium, someone would bring em back. Knight and Hale brought back the Ol Yeller with a wooden pot short term but I think they priced themselves out of a lot of sales for it. I heard they sold their manufacturing, but someone should bring that call back with the cheaper, plastic pot....

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 01:18:58 PM »
Does anyone know what the striker looks like that came with the original in a green plastic pot? a picture?...thanks