OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gray/black slate  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
Gray/black slate
« on: March 12, 2021, 07:29:17 AM »
You don’t see a lot of offerings in gray or black slate as the main pot call surface anymore.  Admittedly I have only one pot call in gray/black slate.  I do see it on the back side on double sided calls.  I imagine it’s better for more controlled soft calling and the other surfaces are higher pitched for reaching out there.  Is that the reason? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Gray/black slate
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 08:26:42 PM »
I don’t make many anymore because every time I order it, it comes in not perfectly round and drives me bonkers aesthetically. Plus some is softer, some is harder, and some looks like a truck ran over it. 

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 08:35:13 PM »
I don’t make many anymore because every time I order it, it comes in not perfectly round and drives me bonkers aesthetically. Plus some is softer, some is harder, and some looks like a truck ran over it.
Thanks Travis.  It’s one of the few pot surfaces I don’t have.  Thing is, that’s what most pot surfaces were made of many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 08:16:19 AM »
For me when it comes to hunting and killing turkeys I want to be using a black slate call. To my ear it has the best sound with great soft talk.

Offline PEte_A

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 02:16:33 PM »
One of my Eddie Wynne grey slates is almost always the first call out of my vest.

Offline jmart241

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 03:23:54 PM »
I really like my Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen gobblers like it to

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 04:37:15 PM »
Agreed on the older harder slate vs some you see and run today.

I do like my wynne persimmon (black) and an older Halloran laminated slate (harder gray) I have. 2 completely different content soft talking hens. But you can get more agressive on the Halloran without creating a bunch of dust/residue on the slate.
Phil 4:13

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 05:23:27 PM »
IMO i dont think a lot of guys are in to that soft mellow sound anymore ,, lots slate sound files out their run like sound like a glass call
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 06:31:55 PM »
exactly what Bill said, Mike

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 06:41:26 PM »
IMO i dont think a lot of guys are in to that soft mellow sound anymore ,, lots slate sound files out their run like sound like a glass call
I agree with what your saying Mike but the way I look at it if I wanted to hunt a glass call then I would use one. I prefer the mellower black slate tones and kill plenty of birds that way. Just what I like may not work for everyone.

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 06:55:57 PM »
I love my black slate cedar pot - I find it the purrs and clucks sound "birdier" than my other slate surfaces, but I like the harder slates for locating or rasp. For calling to a Tom from the roost first thing in the morning to bringing him to my lap after flydown though, it's black with a B&W Ebony striker.

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 06:56:21 PM »
yep couldn't agree more you want a call sound like glass buy a glass dont have deal with moisture issue with slate ,, lol  i pretty much stick with softer woods for gray slate  i like that mellower tone

was messing with this one few years back in the yard lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSHyMwFV54
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 07:59:31 PM »
3.5 in. regular slate over glass in walnut pot, my favorite, surprisingly high pitch if you crank on it.

Offline owego

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 07:22:53 AM »
 Been making calls for 40 yrs & all I use is glass sound boards in all calls, Hard black PA. in slate calls, frosted glass in all glass calls & top quality hard aircraft aluminum in all aluminum calls. All rest of the stuff you hear about I have tried & did not like it If you are buying a call for hunting, stick with these combos & you will be good to go. If you are a call collector mix it up & have fun. click link for my slate call.    http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/power-slate/

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 08:54:07 AM »
I love my black slate cedar pot - I find it the purrs and clucks sound "birdier" than my other slate surfaces, but I like the harder slates for locating or rasp. For calling to a Tom from the roost first thing in the morning to bringing him to my lap after flydown though, it's black with a B&W Ebony striker.
I have two cedar slate pots that I still hunt. Built them some time back but they will see use every year. Also built a black locust double slate last year for myself. Love hunting this call as it sounds so nice. All three have black slate in them. To each his own as we have all said before "everyone has a different hen or two running around in their head".