OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question  (Read 1320 times)

Offline CharliesElements

• I can do ALL things thru Christ who strengthens me
Question
« on: March 11, 2021, 02:42:15 AM »
Question:
Why do customers all want the same thickness of 3.47 x 0.90 in materials as well as sizing down the diameter?
I get that the sound your trying to replicate is a hen.  But what happens if the slate runs thicker?
Say 1/8 of an inch?
What would happen?
Who came up with the idea that Slates need to .090?
Can anyone help me?
Charlies Capitol Slates.
Turkeycallslate@yahoo.com

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 09:42:43 AM »
Most glass is .090 so you can use the same lip depth for both calls, also it seems you get the best sound with .090.

Offline John Sinclair CustomCalls

• www.JohnSinclairCustomCalls.com
    • John Sinclair Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 10:50:14 AM »
3.47 is what the final diameter was from the core saw the Quarry uses to mine the slate. The diameter could be even 1/4” increments up to 3.50” .

.090 is the best thickness for sound quality and as mentioned above, it matches the thickness of glass and crystal.

Accurate consistency in thickness is critical to call makers so that each of their calls sounds the same. Call makers will get very frustrated when thicknesses aren’t consistent. If the slate varies in thickness and diameter it greatly affecects the pedestal depth when they are used for soundboards.

Offline CharliesElements

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 11:35:21 AM »
Thank you! I can get it consistent.  That’s not a problem.  But I’ve notice that even other slate quarries run anywhere from 0.086 to 0.092.  Almost each piece is different and yes I know about the core as we are drilling now.  So slate and glass run close to 0.090 where the other materials are thicker I’ve noticed such as ceramic and titanium. 
Charlies Capitol Slates.

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 03:36:46 PM »
your are right some slate are a hair thicker then others when i run into it if to much i will drop the round on sander to get it to right thickness ,, the titanium and ceramic being harder then slate and being thicker helps the surface resonate a little easier,,, consistency is good thing in call making to get our own sound we want ,, in past makers have complained that mother nature wasnt constant in grey slate comimg out ground , It  was to soft  going to hear the red is not red enough the green not green enough

Wish you good luck cant wait see what u come out with         
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline CharliesElements

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 12:43:26 AM »
your are right some slate are a hair thicker then others when i run into it if to much i will drop the round on sander to get it to right thickness ,, the titanium and ceramic being harder then slate and being thicker helps the surface resonate a little easier,,, consistency is good thing in call making to get our own sound we want ,, in past makers have complained that mother nature wasnt constant in grey slate comimg out ground , It  was to soft  going to hear the red is not red enough the green not green enough

Wish you good luck cant wait see what u come out with       

Thank you buddy.  We are pretty excited to be taking on this new adventure.  I hope our troubles pay off.   Would lime to see the other side of things once we get the trails and errors worked out. 

Thank you for your support. 
God bless you!
Charlie
Charlies Capitol Slates.