OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: how to purr with a mouth call  (Read 2799 times)

Offline captfire

how to purr with a mouth call
« on: March 10, 2021, 08:40:26 PM »
how do u purr with a mouth call I can not get it to sound right I can make all the sounds I want but not the purr...

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
Re: how to purr with a mouth call
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 09:12:55 PM »
I tried for a long time until I got it down.  I close my mouth more almost to the point where my molars touch and flutter my tongue by blowing air between my tongue and the call reeds.  My lips are almost closed to keep too much air from escaping and the area above and below my lips inflate a tiny bit.  The video on youtube with Scott Ellis was the best help, but honestly I worked on it everyday for weeks driving back and forth to work.  There's a video of Shane Simpson doing it that helped some too.  The type of diaphragm cut makes a difference at first, but you need to experiment with that yourself.  For me it was split Vs and combo cuts, now I can purr on most cuts.  Putting clucks in there that sound right is the next trick.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 11:42:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-lfYCuzEQ
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Online GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 09:57:02 AM »
I really can't add anything to what has already been said,...except this:
95% (or more) of turkey hunter/callers are better off sticking with a friction-type call such as a pot call to do the purr (or cluck and purr).  Don't get drawn into the false narrative that just because the top 5% of turkey callers can replicate the perfect cluck/purr "on demand" with a mouth call that you have to be able to do that. 

If you plan on getting into the contest calling circuit, then yes, you should strive to learn how to cluck and purr with the best of them.  However, if you just want to call turkeys while hunting them, most are best off just sticking with another calling device.   :icon_thumright:

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 12:30:57 PM »
95% (or more) of turkey hunter/callers are better off sticking with a friction-type call such as a pot call to do the purr (or cluck and purr).  Don't get drawn into the false narrative that just because the top 5% of turkey callers can replicate the perfect cluck/purr "on demand" with a mouth call that you have to be able to do that. 

If you plan on getting into the contest calling circuit, then yes, you should strive to learn how to cluck and purr with the best of them.  However, if you just want to call turkeys while hunting them, most are best off just sticking with another calling device.   :icon_thumright:
Absolutely spot on!  My main reasons for learning to use diaphragms was that I wanted something to seal the deal hands-free on a gobbler up close, I wanted to have a “different sound” available to throw out there, and I’m fascinated with the technique and call’s themselves.  I just wanted to learn and master something new.  I can easily cluck and purr with a pot call, but it takes at least one hand to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 04:16:59 PM »
takes a  lot of practice at least for me it did

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 08:23:34 PM »

I kinda' disagree.

If you can flutter your tongue, it is fairly easily done (the video I posted helped me).  My duck hunting buddies that use a teal or pintail whistle learn the call quickly....  While I would not invest months of training time, if you can flutter your tongue, it is probably worth a bit of time to learn.  If you cannot flutter your tongue, I would stick to the friction calls...  Although it supposed can be done by "flapping your lips" I have not been able to pull it off.  Although I am certain that will attempting to do so while driving, people watching assumed I was special needs, and were probably concerned that I was driving a vehicle.

Being able to purr to that close bird without grabbing a friction call has put some birds on the fryer for me...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline randy6471

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 01:00:41 PM »
I use my throat, as if I am gargling with mouth wash. I saw Paul Butski doing it on a hunting video years ago and started trying to do it that way. It was tough at first trying to get consistent by doing it that way, but with practice I was able to get pretty good at it.

My preference is to do it with a friction call if possible, which I think gives the most realistic sound.

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
how to purr with a mouth call
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 07:52:23 PM »
I tried the gargle method for a long time and I had a hard time being consistent.  Once I mastered the tongue flutter, which was hard, it’s easier to do for me anyway.  I’m satisfied with how it sounds compared to a pot call, especially the aggressive purrs and clucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk