OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Vortex Viper vs Venom Red dot difference? also 3moa vs 6moa?  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Goblue4016

Vortex Viper vs Venom Red dot difference? also 3moa vs 6moa?
« on: March 10, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »
Hi All -

Turkey Season is so close for me I cant wait! I am wanting to try out a red dot on my Mossberg 535 shotgun and was wondering what the difference was between the Vortex Viper and Venom red dots? they are basically the same price but I do see that most here recommend if venom if going with vortex. just curious whats the reason?

Also if I do go with the venom should I get 3 moa or 6 moa? I believe the viper only comes in 6moa.

I know the Burris is highly recommended as well but I have a friend who can get me a discount on the vortex's so im going to go with them.

Offline fmf

Re: Vortex Viper vs Venom Red dot difference? also 3moa vs 6moa?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
I would suggest 3moa.  6 moa is just a little bit big to me, but I think some people like that.  I believe that the difference in those sights is that the viper is slightly smaller and lower mounting and only comes in 6 moa which is why you probably don't see it recommended much over the venom.

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 11:32:54 AM »
Venom also comes in 3 MOA. I have two of them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Gmed

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 12:31:20 PM »
The Viper battery loads from the bottom is another difference. You must remove it from the mount. The Venom is a top load. Between my son and I, we have three Venoms and two Fastfire III. No problems out of any, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either.

Offline Goblue4016

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 12:55:32 PM »
The Viper battery loads from the bottom is another difference. You must remove it from the mount. The Venom is a top load. Between my son and I, we have three Venoms and two Fastfire III. No problems out of any, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either.

good to know yes I dont want to have to remove the red dot every time to change a battery. do you prefer the 3moa over the 6moa also?

Offline Gmed

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 01:07:35 PM »

good to know yes I dont want to have to remove the red dot every time to change a battery. do you prefer the 3moa over the 6moa also?

Never used a 6moa. The 3moa seems to do everything you will need it to do.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 03:46:34 PM »
I have 3,6, and 8 moa dots. They are all good for turkey hunting. You can’t go wrong with anyone of them......good luck...
“Solo hunter”

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 05:46:55 PM »
I have a 2 MOA on an AR and do not like shooting my nephew's 4 MOA. 

I just got a 301T in 410 that came with a Tasco 5 MOA dot and I do not think it will be the slightest issue in shooting a turkey. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.