OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Over under turkey guns

Started by E24412019P, March 07, 2021, 04:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E24412019P

How many here use a over under to turkey hunt? I'm setting mine up for this and would like to see some others. I'm not planning to camo mine. The full choke will get me to 40 yards and the mod in the other barrel for 20 and under gives a nice open pattern.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

tracker#1

I am setting one up also. a stevens 555. 26" barrel, starting out with an IC .562 lower barrel for further shots using production and hand-rolled #8s TSS. Top barrel, a Trulock .581 for a closer shot with LB #6s. Waiting for the weather to freaking break so I can test some loads...

Tom007

Quote from: E24412019P on March 07, 2021, 04:42:42 PM
How many here use a over under to turkey hunt? I'm setting mine up for this and would like to see some others. I'm not planning to camo mine. The full choke will get me to 40 yards and the mod in the other barrel for 20 and under gives a nice open pattern.

Love the over-under. 2 choke options, they are shorter, all round good turkey gun. Would not part with mine....
"Solo hunter"

wchadw

I have a few. 20 and 28ga

Here is my Yildiz youth 20. Sumtoy 562 and 585 chokes. Sumtoy rmr mount that I run a trijicon RMR pic is from when I got it cerakoted and dipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old3toe

I've had a yildiz youth 20 for a while now. When I carry it I shoot full in top barrel with fed 3" heavyweight 7's and mod with winchester supreme 1 1/4oz 5's. No camo just added tru glo sights, sling swivels, and sling. Sweet little shotguns and fun to hunt with, shoot, and carry.

mcw3734

I've also had interest in using an O/U, but I've read that there can be issues with the barrels having different point of impacts when using tight turkey chokes. I'm curious if anybody talks about different POI issues with their O/U or SxS.

E24412019P

My gun shoots a little low with the bottom barrel at 40 and a little high with the top barrel at 20. But I only shoot the bead and it will work fine for me.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: wchadw on March 07, 2021, 10:46:49 PM
I have a few. 20 and 28ga

Here is my Yildiz youth 20. Sumtoy 562 and 585 chokes. Sumtoy rmr mount that I run a trijicon RMR pic is from when I got it cerakoted and dipped

Man that thing is sharp!

wchadw

Quote from: old3toe on March 08, 2021, 12:29:47 AM
I've had a yildiz youth 20 for a while now. When I carry it I shoot full in top barrel with fed 3" heavyweight 7's and mod with winchester supreme 1 1/4oz 5's. No camo just added tru glo sights, sling swivels, and sling. Sweet little shotguns and fun to hunt with, shoot, and carry.
Yea. It's a great little gun. Especially for the price. I got a 28ga as well

Tom007

Quote from: mcw3734 on March 08, 2021, 12:51:44 AM
I've also had interest in using an O/U, but I've read that there can be issues with the barrels having different point of impacts when using tight turkey chokes. I'm curious if anybody talks about different POI issues with their O/U or SxS.

You are correct in the POI with over-unders. My 2 barrels shoot very close to each other, the top barrel at 25 may be no more than 1 inch high. I have heard of some guns have larger differences between the 2 barrels. Most people will put more of a spreader/open choke in the upper barrel for the closer shots, thus the difference in POI shouldn't matter unless it's drastically different. I use a different set-up since my POI is close between the 2 barrels. I have a Rob Roberts .660 in the lower barrel. My red dot is sighted in dead on with this barrel. The upper barrel has a Browning Full Strut choke (.640) in it. I found that this choke patterned a little low at 25 when I tested it in the lower barrel, so it is very close when used in the upper barrel. The combo works perfect for me.
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: wchadw on March 08, 2021, 07:51:41 AM

Real nice set up....
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

I've been looking at a Yildiz side by side 20 for my wife. She doesn't like the added length of the action on pumps and autos, and still uses a little break action single 20 I gave her a long time ago. I'm going to have to show her this one. Looks really good.

Greg Massey

I have Yildiz over/under 410 with Sumtoy 384 and 387 tubes .. sweet little gun to carry...

old3toe

Yes they are. I used to have the 28 gauge too.haha but sold the 28 and kept the 20. I've had an 870 express 28gauge since I was in my teens though. I think everyone needs at least one 28gauge.
   I never had poi issues with either of my over under zildiz guns. I've got a few posts on here about mine from when I got them and tested them out. I added tru glo sights because they're so bright in low light. At forty yards mine shoots right on with top barrel and a little lower with the bottom barrel. I aim mid neck with top one and on the head with bottom. Works perfect.

Boll Weevil

I have a 20 and a 12...love'em.