OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opening day success (First bird for wife)

Started by eorlando, March 06, 2021, 04:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eorlando

FIRST BIRD on her first turkey hunt ever!!!!! What a morning!!!  We couldn't have asked for a better morning. Scouted this bird a couple weeks ago and had a pretty good idea where he was roosting at. Slipped in there this morning and got setup 30 min before shooting light (a little later than I hoped).  We got settled in and waited for legal light.

As the sun came up and the woods came to life. We heard song birds chirping, a bull gator in the distance bellowing, and barred owls hooting. The only thing missing was that gobble we longed for.  5 min after legal light and still nothing. I was starting to 2nd guess my choice of spots. A few more minutes go by and we finally hear a gobble off in the distance, then another bird fires off. 10 min go by and there are now 3 different birds hammering down but nothing close. I tell my wife we are going to have to make a move and go to the birds off in the distance. Before we make a move I hit the call one last time. BOOM, a bird hammers off 150 yards from us in the opposite direction. Change of plans.......

I tell my wife to get her gun up and ready, that he is on the ground and probably headed this way. I wait a minute, hit the call again and he hammers back at half the distance now. He hammers again and is even closer. My heart is beating out of my chest as I know it's about to go down. I make a couple soft calls and he hammers again this time at 15 steps..... one of those ground shaking gobbles you can feel in your bones. He steps out at 5 yards in full strut.  He makes a B-line to the decoy, walks around it, and then kicks the  out of it. I hit the call, he periscopes, and then the 20ga rings out. Bird down!!!!!  I was hooting and hollering. I'm not sure who was more excited me or her....oh wait, definitely me. Definitely a hunt I will remember as long as I live. Next up is my daughter in a few days. Maybe she can get her first too!!!!

DSC_1094 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_1105 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_1133 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_1108 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_1079 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_1084 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hobbes

That's awesome ????????????. Congrats to you and the wife.

Goblen

Rzrbac

Congrats to you and her. Fine looking bird and some great pics.

3bailey3

Snood Life

zelmo1

That is awesome bro, congrats to you both.  :turkey2: :turkey2:

JeffC

Congratulations Mrs. E and Eric, pictures are great, smile says it all. I hope you got it on video? Good luck getting your daughter a bird. All that scouting and hunting with the camera pays off...thanks for sharing..
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoteduster

Tom007

Awesome, congrats...is that the one you had a pic of on the roost?

guesswho

Nice!   Congrats to you both.  I have to ask, what kind of Camo is that.  Reminds me of the old DK Flatlands or whatever it was called.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

310 gauge

Now that's what good livin' will get ya!!! Great pictures of even better memories! Thanks for taking us along and looking forward to sharing in your daughter's success also! Very cool camo Mom!!!

boomer

Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

eorlando

Quote from: guesswho on March 06, 2021, 05:29:54 PM
Nice!   Congrats to you both.  I have to ask, what kind of Camo is that.  Reminds me of the old DK Flatlands or whatever it was called.
Thanks!!!  It is called Florida camo. Perfect for down here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Swenny

Nice bird!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk