OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Does this effect turkey reproduction?

Started by WV Flopper, March 02, 2021, 09:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

"Study shows widespread neonicotinoid exposure in Minnesota white-tailed deer – Twin Cities" https://www.twincities.com/2021/03/01/study-shows-widespread-neonicotinoid-exposure-in-minnesota-white-tailed-deer/amp/

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

I found this article interesting relating to one part of a possible turkey decline. Turkeys and deer can ingest the same things throughout out their travels.

GobbleNut

Whether this particular class of insecticides is toxic to turkeys probably has not been studied well enough to be certain.  However, circumstantial evidence based on stable to increasing wild turkey numbers in the states in question would make me suspect neonics probably don't impact turkeys much. 

I do believe chemical compounds that are associated with agricultural practices may well play a part in suppressed reproduction in wild turkeys.  That is another thing that needs to be investigated fully. 

Spitten and drummen

I think chicken crap being used as fertalizer is more detrimental to wild turkeys. Turkeys feed in these fields thats been fertilized by chicken crap and they catch a disease from it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 02, 2021, 10:01:25 PM
Whether this particular class of insecticides is toxic to turkeys probably has not been studied well enough to be certain.  However, circumstantial evidence based on stable to increasing wild turkey numbers in the states in question would make me suspect neonics probably don't impact turkeys much. 
Spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.