OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Keeping track of your calls  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Dazzler

Keeping track of your calls
« on: March 02, 2021, 02:41:26 PM »
Relatively new turkey hunter.  Up until a year ago, I used the same Primos box call and push hen box my dad gave me.  I've only got a few custom pot calls and adding a scratch box this season.  How do you guys remember the wood and material used on your calls?  I started a spreadsheet but can't find it anymore.  Tried searching my messages on the forum since that's where I bought them, but the OP has deleted the details and just marked it sold.

What is the recommended way to rediscover what wood and/or material my call is made of?

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Keeping track of your calls
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »
Wood combo's I can tell by looking at most but that's because I have built calls and use a lot of different woods for strikers and such. Now remembering what striker goes with a pot call I bought. Forget it. Though it get easier with the customs for sure.

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 04:26:39 PM »
I try to make it easy by writing the woods used and date on the inside of the box. Some pot call builders do the same on the bottom side of the pot.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 05:06:58 PM »
I keep a log book of all my calls with information, on who i bought the call from, whether it's from a call builder or someone personal. I like to record little history of the calls and what i paid for the calls etc.  Some of my calls are from call builders who are no longer living. So it's good to keep records of the great call builders who pioneered the way for other call builders. So my suggest is for you to get you Spiral Notetbook and keep records of all your calls for reference, which will include, history, date of purchase, price you paid and type woods or combo's ... if i go to Nashville and purchase calls at the NWTF,  i date and put in the log book about the show the calls i purchase alone with doing the same with other calls shows etc...

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:39:27 PM »
I’ll probably create a call and striker list.  I generally know when and who I’ve gotten mine from.  I mess with them a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Online Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 08:51:20 AM »
A log is a great idea. Especially as the turkey seasons roll by and those senior moments become more frequent.

Online Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 09:10:02 AM »
Keep all my call information on a Excel spreadsheet. Print dated copies and backup.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 09:41:04 AM »
Keep all my call information on a Excel spreadsheet. Print dated copies and backup.
I actually started putting mine in a spreadsheet recently.  To show my nerdiness I ranked my strikers in order of janka hardness with the janka rating, density and dry weight included for each wood.  I like data.  I may include actual weight of each striker as I have a lab-grade scale I use to weigh them on.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 10:28:20 AM »
A commendable exercise to record this-both for you and those that will come after.  While I keep a written log of all my hunts, I would recommend you go digital...I have excel spreadsheets to track the thousands of turkey hunting items I have...include lots of information others have mentioned...and I record items I don't have to record history and pricing (makes me an educated buyer).  The value of the spreadsheet is it can be searched, updated, expanded, you can enter comments or color code, copy paste, share...and if I kick the can my family knows where they can go to find information.  I spend a few hours a week doing this, as it is an obsession, but I am not normal  :TooFunny:

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 02:18:40 PM »
I actually started putting mine in a spreadsheet recently.  To show my nerdiness I ranked my strikers in order of janka hardness with the janka rating, density and dry weight included for each wood.  I like data.  I may include actual weight of each striker as I have a lab-grade scale I use to weigh them on.

Each of you spreadsheet guys and gals are an inspiration!  Before getting to spreadsheets,  I need to learn to not loose mine.   Should I prepare a spreadsheet,  I would need a column for best strikers lost under an oak tree and never found,  a column for not so good box calls left in the may apples and note to never look for them again,  and lots of other columns and rows listing the ten million places I have lost and never found a great call!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 02:50:25 PM »
I take pictures of all mine and post them in a photo album on Facebroke, with name of makers, wood and strikers that go with each call and if the maker gave me a sound file I post that and link to get in contact with them.

That also gives evidence in case I need to make an Ins. claim.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 08:25:53 PM »
I do the spread sheet thing also listing the maker, wood, surface, soundboard and striker. A lot of times I don't use the striker that came with the call. I take a piece of paper, write down the call maker and which call it came with. I wrap the paper around the striker with some tape so I know which striker goes with what call and then they go in a small storage container.

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 09:25:44 PM »
I have a spreadsheet for my box call collection. Mostly for a will and if I need to make an insurance claim. It has instructions for my wife on what I want handed down, and fair asking prices for selling the rest if the time came for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:25:49 AM by vt35mag »

Offline Dazzler

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 05:53:18 PM »
I started to log maker and material details. I went back to get the info from sale posts and pms but people tend to edit out most info from sales posts especially price. Why is that?