OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Georgia early season

Started by Kygobblergetter, March 01, 2021, 10:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kygobblergetter

I will be heading to north Georgia for opening weekend as basically a scouting trip and then starting the next weekend for a full 5 days straight to hunt. I'm not interested in spots as I have plans on the area I want to start. I'm just curious how the birds will be gobbling that far north that early in the season. As always any info is appreciated. I'm a little worried the birds won't quite be ready but that's when I can go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes

North Ga is kinda vague. If you are talking about the mountain area, then that will be early, if you are talking the foothills (pretty much where I am), then the birds should be gobbling some and still grouped up a lot. It will be feast or famine. It can also be different from East to Central to West GA. The northeast side will still be COLD while the rest of the state will be starting to green up and south GA will be really greened up. It can change a lot in the 355 miles between the state line.

The reason that I say it is vague is I was born, raised and live in Cherokee county which is in the north 25% of the state, but we are rarely referred to as North Ga, unless it is from someone south of central Ga.

Yeah, we are an odd breed, but North GA around here is considered the mountains.

You might want to consider bringing you a few birds to hunt, our population is decreasing by the year.

rstewart8706

Quote from: Sixes on March 02, 2021, 02:45:40 AM

The reason that I say it is vague is I was born, raised and live in Cherokee county which is in the north 25% of the state, but we are rarely referred to as North Ga, unless it is from someone south of central Ga.

I lived in Cherokee County from 1993-2003 when I escaped.    Did you derive your name from Sixes Rd?

Tom007

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on March 01, 2021, 10:23:38 PM
I will be heading to north Georgia for opening weekend as basically a scouting trip and then starting the next weekend for a full 5 days straight to hunt. I'm not interested in spots as I have plans on the area I want to start. I'm just curious how the birds will be gobbling that far north that early in the season. As always any info is appreciated. I'm a little worried the birds won't quite be ready but that's when I can go

Best of luck to you. Be safe

timberjack86

I'll be on cohutta, probably gonna be out there listening the weekend before the opener trying to find a starting point.

Kygobblergetter

I was planning on the mountains but I'm pretty flexible and have some backup plans farther south. You all think it would be worth starting farther south or will the mountain birds be talking?

PalmettoRon

I would go south of the mountains. I have killed gobblers in late March in the N Ga mountains that were in fact gobbling, but usually they aren't turned on until later. However, that won't stop me from trying myself. I've never hunted Berry College WMA, but have heard good things about that area in the past. That's south of the mountain public land.Good luck!

Sixes

Quote from: rstewart8706 on March 02, 2021, 06:55:09 AM
Quote from: Sixes on March 02, 2021, 02:45:40 AM

I lived in Cherokee County from 1993-2003 when I escaped.    Did you derive your name from Sixes Rd?

That would be correct. My family were some of the original settlers in this area and our family cemetery dates back to the early 1800s.

I still reside in Sixes, but if you haven't been through here in a long time, you would be amazed at the changes.

Sixes

Every day changes a little and the mountains typically get better as the days pass, but this year will be the earliest that our season will open.

Cohutta will probably be less crowded but do not expect the locals to be of any help. You could drop south another hour or two and be among several WMAs (Paulding Forest, Pine Log, ALlatoona, Dawson Forest, Berry) but you better expect a lot of hunters.

Public land was way overcrowded and overharvested last season.

Good Luck

Kygobblergetter

Thanks for all the information. Looks like I'll head down there and see what happens. Most of my hunts are usually play it by ear but this will be my first time hunting Georgia so I was just curious about how the birds would be acting. Hopefully my scouting trip will give me a little better idea of what's going on

timberjack86

FLGobstopper

Which license you buying? It's good for a year from date of purchase. I used to alternate trips a little later in the season one year and then I'd hit the early season the following so I could make 2 good trips on one license. Probably all equals out in the end but I'm cheap like that sometimes.

Sixes

Quote from: FLGobstopper on March 03, 2021, 06:46:21 PM
Which license you buying? It's good for a year from date of purchase. I used to alternate trips a little later in the season one year and then I'd hit the early season the following so I could make 2 good trips on one license. Probably all equals out in the end but I'm cheap like that sometimes.

You have my curiosity up, how do you view the bag limit?

Say you buy a license in Mid April and come up and kill 3 birds, and then come back in March the next year, do you think you are entitle to 3 more birds on the same license?

What about deer season, say you bought in December, killed 2 bucks and 10 does, then came back the next year would you still be able to shoot 12 more?

If so, I need to talk to my Rep and get this changed.

Stick

Quote from: Sixes on March 03, 2021, 10:57:29 PM

Say you buy a license in Mid April and come up and kill 3 birds, and then come back in March the next year, do you think you are entitle to 3 more birds on the same license?

What about deer season, say you bought in December, killed 2 bucks and 10 does, then came back the next year would you still be able to shoot 12 more?

The answer to both questions above is yes.  You just need the second harvest card; one for each year's season.  The limit is per season year, not license period.

FLGobstopper

Quote from: Stick on March 04, 2021, 03:52:53 AM
Quote from: Sixes on March 03, 2021, 10:57:29 PM

The answer to both questions above is yes.  You just need the second harvest card; one for each year's season.  The limit is per season year, not license period.

This is correct.