OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: useing a blind  (Read 2375 times)

Offline captfire

useing a blind
« on: March 01, 2021, 09:45:47 AM »
I HAVE NEVER USED A BLIND FOR TURKEY I HAVE ALWAYS USED A CAMO NETING ON SOME STAKES AND HAD VERY GOOD LUCK I KNOW WERE THEY ROOST I SET THEM OUT ABOUT 3 WEEKS BEFORE SEASON I CAN GET IN ABOUT 100 YRDS. FROM THEM THE DON'T KNOW I'AM THERE SO IF I PUT UP A BLIND WILL THEY HERE THE ZIPPER ON THE DOOR AND THE WINDOWS WHEN I OPEN THEM.....

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
Re: useing a blind
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 01:04:41 PM »
Probably not since they normally have nylon zippers.  What you will have to worry about is getting to it and inside well before daylight, especially if you are setup in a field.  Get in early and let everything settle down (an hour before first light would be best).  Only open the windows that you absolutely have to, to shoot from.  Peak out small holes as they approach.  Stay away from the windows to keep from being silhouetted from any sunlight.  Blinds aren't foolproof, so keep movement to a minimum.  By the way, you don't have to set them up 3 weeks in advance.  Put them up and hunt them.  No brushing in required.  Good Luck! 

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 01:50:15 PM »
I’ve completely walked under birds a set up way too close. As I was setting the blind in the dark my daughter pointed up. Bird was about 30-40 yards out w a bunch of buddies. She missed a cake shot that morn. Anyhow, we just quietly a piece at a time open it and slip it over our head. Not even sure the zippers work.
A hub style blind I’ve used w real little kids. We popped open quietly 80-100 yards out. Put it over our heads and walked into the set up. Key is go real early and take lots time. I find setting anyplace now counterproductive. You need to move to where the birds are. Some blinds like a double bull don’t have zipper windows. Completely quiet in the window regard
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 04:01:49 AM by Bowguy »

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 12:14:41 PM »
Agree most are nylon zippers and the window's are slide type of some kind for the most part. I usually set 2 of them up couple weeks before season, because you never know how our turkey hunting weather is going to be in the spring, wind, rain, fog and cold sometimes. i will come back to one of my blinds most of the time and eat lunch and rest ...

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 05:49:42 AM »
I have some experience with using a pop-up blind when my sons were smaller.  I have also used one when it was going to be pouring down rain.

1)  Nylon zippers are not a problem early, but don't go working the zipper when the turkeys are close by.
2)  Deer will spook at seeing a fresh blind that is not brushed in.  Turkeys are not nearly as smart.  I can throw one up at 6 and have hens pecking at it at 8.  When possible, I set mine up the night before, just to save on noise.  Deer need a couple of weeks and extra brushing-in
3)  Be careful with headlamps. I never use one, just because that thing is going to point wherever my head turns.  I prefer to control my flashlight in my hand and try to keep it low and pointed at the ground.
4)  Turkeys have a hard time understanding "this is inside that" whereas deer can.  It's all kind of a mystery to turkeys.

The best set-up for using a blind is at a field edge well away from the roost.  Put it somewhere where the turkeys are going to come at mid-morning to feed, or near a known gobbler strut zone.  I'd stay away from trying to set up right by the roost before first light. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 06:37:20 AM »
I have walked out at around 4:00-4:30 in the morning with an Ameristep 2 man chair blind and set up in a middle of a field I know they pitch down in and set up the blind and sat there and had them all come to me within shooting distance. As I said in another thread the only reason I did not shoot is they were all hen and Jakes that morning and I did not want my first turkey to be a Jake.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 07:38:08 AM »
I have used blinds for my Learn to Hunts, Youth Hunts, Bow Hunts, Newbie Hunts, Bad Weather Hunts and Filming Hunts, and have learned a few things on set-ups, where to be and it all goes back to scouting. I have never "Brushed In" a blind for turkey, deer is another story. I've set a blind right in the middle of an open field and turkeys will walk right up to me and the DSD's. I know some mornings when I am in/on near roost locations I can open the 180° front windows on my Double Bull and "crawl" through it and on my Double Wide's there is no zipper for door entrance.

A few Pointers I would give.

> Set the blind to where you are in range of where turkeys are typically going to enter/exit field (scouting)
> Be aware of where the sun is going to be when your in the blind
> ALWAYS make sure the area behind you is "Blacked Out" no matter what blind (Yes they can still see silhouettes/motion even in
    these claimed "you can see out but they can't see in blinds"
> Set your (5 hub) blinds as a Diamond, not a square.
> Stake out your blind completely if going to be left out, if just packing in and out set, I have stakes along but do not always stake
    unless windy... 
> Don't feel like you're stuck in that blind once you set-up, many a time I have left the blind on a Run & Gun Hunt just by reading
    what that bird was doing or not doing.

Pic is from a "Double Blind" set (I have done these a number of times) I did as I'll have Mom, Dad (Hunter) and myself all on a hunt together. Even had triple sets :)  There is a way to set these so "side" windows line up so you can "speak" to one another on what's going on.

MK M GOBL

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »
If you can try to set up in the shade, both helps keep you cooler on those hot days and your blind won't fade as quickly

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 01:24:53 PM »
I have used blinds for my Learn to Hunts, Youth Hunts, Bow Hunts, Newbie Hunts, Bad Weather Hunts and Filming Hunts, and have learned a few things on set-ups, where to be and it all goes back to scouting. I have never "Brushed In" a blind for turkey, deer is another story. I've set a blind right in the middle of an open field and turkeys will walk right up to me and the DSD's. I know some mornings when I am in/on near roost locations I can open the 180° front windows on my Double Bull and "crawl" through it and on my Double Wide's there is no zipper for door entrance.

A few Pointers I would give.

> Set the blind to where you are in range of where turkeys are typically going to enter/exit field (scouting)
> Be aware of where the sun is going to be when your in the blind
> ALWAYS make sure the area behind you is "Blacked Out" no matter what blind (Yes they can still see silhouettes/motion even in
    these claimed "you can see out but they can't see in blinds"
> Set your (5 hub) blinds as a Diamond, not a square.
> Stake out your blind completely if going to be left out, if just packing in and out set, I have stakes along but do not always stake
    unless windy... 
> Don't feel like you're stuck in that blind once you set-up, many a time I have left the blind on a Run & Gun Hunt just by reading
    what that bird was doing or not doing.

Pic is from a "Double Blind" set (I have done these a number of times) I did as I'll have Mom, Dad (Hunter) and myself all on a hunt together. Even had triple sets :)  There is a way to set these so "side" windows line up so you can "speak" to one another on what's going on.

MK M GOBL

That young lady will have no problem finding someone with which to share a blind in the future, I would hazard a guess!!

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 08:57:53 PM »

That young lady will have no problem finding someone with which to share a blind in the future, I would hazard a guess!!

This is my buddies daughter and she is quite the hunter! Whitetail, Bow and Gun, Waterfowl, Upland, Small Game and of course Turkey!!  Plus she is very high ranked trap shooter too! Her boyfriend is a lucky guy, her dad has some awesome ground to hunt.
She turned 21 this Jan. and a beautiful young lady, her dad raised her right.

MK M GOBL