OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need piece of wood (1x6) for wing flapper call

Started by Dubie, February 28, 2021, 07:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubie

Where would I purchase a piece of wood like a 1x6 to make this turkey feather wing flapper https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/birds/how-hunt/2009/04/make-your-own-turkey-wing-call/ ? I would like to get a piece of nice wood that will last a while, something that would age well with use- pass down to kids.

Where did ya'll order your wood for calls?

Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks guys!

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dubie

I'm all ears! I know I can use a hat, bag, etc., but something nice about using a wing from a gobbler a killed to try to kill another one....

guesswho

BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Dubie

guesswho

And for your original question, you can buy the wood at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  You can buy pre-finished lumber, or buy and stain yourself. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

FullChoke

You should be able to find a nice piece of 1x6 poplar at the locations mentioned above. Not terribly expensive and will serve your grandkids for many years.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

tomno3

trkehunr93

My question is do you really need a wooden handle?  I carry two hen wings from a fall bird that I've had for the better part of ten years.  I just spread them out enough to make the wing flapping sound, pinned them to some cardboard with the outer side of the wing face down so it kept its natural shape and put Borax on the edge where I trimmed off muscle tissue.  I can send you a pic, this has worked well for me on several hunts.  Before that I just flapped my hat on my leg. 

crow

I would drive around a nice neighborhood on trash day, chances are you'll find an old coffee table somebody set out.

Break one of the legs off, a little filing, shaping and sanding and you'll be in business.

The nicer the neighborhood the better chance it's made from old growth lumber, tighter grain should last for generations to come.

sometimes you have to think outside the box

Dubie

Thanks for all of the info guys! I agree, you do have to think out of the box! I am finding that turkey hunting creates a nostalgia to create memories and items to pass down and on to others. It's very different from deer hunting because so many items are used to call in/attract a bird. I want something to pass on to my kids- all my gear becomes family heirlooms ha mind you I'm only 34 but turkey hunting has created this kind of mindset...at least with me...

Dubie

Trkehunr93, pm coming. Send me a pic of what you mentioned. Thanks for the ideas on the furniture- never would have thought about that Crow!

crow

Quote from: Dubie on March 03, 2021, 08:38:26 AM
Trkehunr93, pm coming. Send me a pic of what you mentioned. Thanks for the ideas on the furniture- never would have thought about that Crow!

:morning:, I was only joking (halfway) about the old growth  :TooFunny:

but there is some good wood in old furniture

Dubie

You do find some great things on trash day- how I've got many shooting house chairs.

Bowguy

Quote from: trkehunr93 on March 03, 2021, 07:18:45 AM
My question is do you really need a wooden handle?  I carry two hen wings from a fall bird that I've had for the better part of ten years.  I just spread them out enough to make the wing flapping sound, pinned them to some cardboard with the outer side of the wing face down so it kept its natural shape and put Borax on the edge where I trimmed off muscle tissue.  I can send you a pic, this has worked well for me on several hunts.  Before that I just flapped my hat on my leg.
I do the same thing. Kind of incredulous it too so long for someone to say that. No sense making things more difficult