Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Another how many guns question-how many do you travel with?

Started by Tail Feathers, February 28, 2021, 07:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

I usually drive to my out of state hunts, and I take two guns.  I figure if I travel a few hundred miles, I better be prepared for a mechanical break.  My backup is a single shot and I have confidence in both guns patterns.

Anyone here take two on road trips?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ElkTurkMan

ChesterCopperpot

I always take two. Same for deer season. Don't want to be out of the game because of something as simple as a broken firing pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey_picker

boomer

Always have a backup.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cowboy

paboxcall

Two, a single shot back up as well.

Before I started toting a back up, on a fall turkey hunt, buddy's gun had a firing pin break. Stopped the hunt cold, we had to find a local gunsmith. Fortunately that gunsmith had the exact same gun and pulled the pin from his own gun and installed it in ours.

He got a good tip that day.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Wvdanimal

Many trips,  many years and never even thought about a back up gun. Guess I've been fortunate. Seems like i have too much gear in the first place anyway.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: paboxcall on February 28, 2021, 08:44:46 PM
Two, a single shot back up as well.

Before I started toting a back up, on a fall turkey hunt, buddy's gun had a firing pin break. Stopped the hunt cold, we had to find a local gunsmith. Fortunately that gunsmith had the exact same gun and pulled the pin from his own gun and installed it in ours.

He got a good tip that day.
We went to Florida last year and the guy who owned the place had a rig set up to hold the guns on the front of his side by side. So we tear off out of there and are riding through a rough oak hammock and all of a sudden there's a loud crash and the side by side jumps like we hit a big limb or something. Guy driving hollers, "What the $&*% was that?!?" My buddy's riding in the back says real deadpan and stoic, "That was my gun." His shotgun had fell out of the holder and the landowner ran it over with his side by side. Needless to say, he was glad he'd brought a back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Two shotguns, a hog appropriate rifle, and a 9mm that's always handy.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Southernson13

Southernson13

There is a range of 2-4 guns in my truck through different points of the year. 9mm, 22revolver, 835 if it's turkey season, v3 if it's duck season, 22 carbine is the "truck gun", during deer season often there is the 7mag and the 45-70.
What's that old saying? "How many guns does a guy really need, at least one more"?

Dtrkyman

One, many times I am close to someone who I could borrow a gun from if needed.  Not a fan of leaving guns in my truck when I am camping and hunting!  I often camp on public ground in the spring.