turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Flextone Pot luck Glass call?

Started by old3toe, February 26, 2021, 07:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3toe

I've never tried any of the flextone products but ran across this call the other day. I tend to favor glass more than other pot surfaces and was wondering if anyone has tried this particular call out yet. Anyone know how long the pot luck has been out on the market?

old3toe

I thought I'd give a little update on this call. Though I couldn't find any reviews or videos about it I went ahead and picked one up. Of course after I got it a you tube video review popped up about it. I'll just say this, don't pay any attention to the review the guy does on it if your considering this call. Of course if you know very much about pot calls you'll understand what I mean. Being a new glass call you really have to work the surface over good getting into that glass and prepping it. The guy hits the surface of the call about ten seconds and then attempts to make turkey sounds.lol Of course it doesn't sound much like a turkey.
   I'm not a pot call pro but can usually get decent sound out of them. I've always liked glass myself for the higher pitches some will reach and I have to say this call can get loud!! And I mean a smooth loud! Not a high pitched screeching loud but a very good hen talk loud and can be toned down for the softest smoothest tree calls and purrs. It will ring your ears if you really get on it and still sound good doing it. I'm not a fan of carbon strikers because of how they can screech or change tones extremely quickly if not held perfectly every time however this surface works well with it. I did notice for yelps and cutting you need to hold the striker at more of an angle and for softer purrs and tree calls hold it at less of an angle getting more striker surface on the glass. I also tried a chestnut/walnut striker I made with it and it sounded really sweet too and easier to work as well.
  All in all I think it'll be a great call in the arsenal of calls in my kit and think others will like it too.
   Just remember, with any glass call the main thing is learning how to condition the surface to start off with. You need too really get into that glass (cut into it) with the coarsest sand paper you can find then go to a less coarse piece to finish and smooth it. 60 or 80 grit to start then something way less coarse. Higher grit paper. This call comes with a small piece of each. Also I forgot to mention it's a glass on glass call with a plastic pot, its a compact call.