turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Model 11

Started by jwright8, February 24, 2021, 10:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwright8

Dads got an old Remington model 11. I'm kicking the idea of maybe trying to kill a bird with it. What would be a good 2 3/4" load? Obviously be under 30 yards probably maybe even 25.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AppalachianHollers

Bass Pro has the Federal Grand Slam loads with the FliteControl wad, which might extend your range to 30 just fine.

Just would want to look up if there is an FPS you need to limit your loads to for that gun.

Jimspur

Quote from: jwright8 on February 24, 2021, 10:40:04 PM
Dads got an old Remington model 11. I'm kicking the idea of maybe trying to kill a bird with it. What would be a good 2 3/4" load? Obviously be under 30 yards probably maybe even 25.

Thanks

Hey jwright - If you can definitely, 100% keep your shots at 40 yards max
I would recommend a 2 3/4 in. 1 1/4 oz. 7 1/2 lead express load.
These have a velocity of 1330 fps. After I had shoulder surgery a few years ago I had to shoot left-handed. I didn't want to shoot full power
loads because I put a scope on my gun that year to help with the left eye aiming. I took 2 gobblers, one at 24 yards and one at 40 yards.
Great inexpensive low-recoiling load that won't hurt your gun.
                                                        Jim

Jimspur

Sorry about the post above, I messed that up. I was shooting mine out of a .670 Pure Gold tube. If you have a fixed full choke I would pattern it to see if it shoots POA and to check your max range. But that's a great load for what your looking for.
                                            Jim

jwright8

It is a fixed full choke. 30" barrel I think

jwright8

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on February 25, 2021, 12:30:55 AM
Bass Pro has the Federal Grand Slam loads with the FliteControl wad, which might extend your range to 30 just fine.

Just would want to look up if there is an FPS you need to limit your loads to for that gun.

So you let saying there might be a limit to size of load for it? Would it hurt the gun for shooting too big of a load?

davisd9

RST ammo is a good place for older guns. There webpage is currently down with the demand they have currently but says it will be back up in March, if not before.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Jimspur

Quote from: jwright8 on February 25, 2021, 08:08:18 AM
It is a fixed full choke. 30" barrel I think

That load of 7 1/2s would be perfect for that gun and barrel.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: jwright8 on February 25, 2021, 08:10:19 AM
So you let saying there might be a limit to size of load for it? Would it hurt the gun for shooting too big of a load?

What I'm saying is there may be limits on how much pressure your gun can take. Several different things in a load affect this, but a decent measure of "pressure" in modern loads is the measured FPS of the projectiles.
I would be willing to bet the Federal Grand Slams would be fine. But the 7.5 shot everyone else is recommending would be a 100% safe load and throw a great pattern.

jwright8

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on February 25, 2021, 03:05:28 PM
Quote from: jwright8 on February 25, 2021, 08:10:19 AM

What I'm saying is there may be limits on how much pressure your gun can take. Several different things in a load affect this, but a decent measure of "pressure" in modern loads is the measured FPS of the projectiles.
I would be willing to bet the Federal Grand Slams would be fine. But the 7.5 shot everyone else is recommending would be a 100% safe load and throw a great pattern.

A buddy had some 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz #5s. Not sure on the velocity. They are high brass

Jimspur

Those 5's are probably 1330 fps express loads. They'll work -  You just have to pattern them and see how they shoot at 30-40 yards. That's what I killed my first turkey with in 1982. Remington Express 2 3/4in 1 1/4oz #5, shot out of a Remington 1100 28" barrel with a fixed modified choke at 25 yards. You've got a full choke so I think you'll be alright. Good luck!