OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I seek Eastern South Carolina turkey hunting help  (Read 3069 times)

Offline AdamZ

• Answer the Call...
I seek Eastern South Carolina turkey hunting help
« on: February 24, 2021, 06:49:41 PM »
I just found out I can travel for the first week of April. That means East South Carolina.
I'm planning on Myrtle area but there has to be gobblers that need whacking during Easter week,
I seek pointers, locations, or someone to hunt with/show me around some bird locales.
I live in WNY and can provide the same here for whitetail(piles) and turkey(not so many).
Email me at akg451ck8@yahoo.com
Adam Z
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:11:29 AM by AdamZ »
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

Offline Gmed

Re: I seek East Tennessee hunting help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »
The birds here on public are scattered groups. Feast or famine usually, and normally the competition is high, especially that early in the season. There are farmlands surrounded by public, but otherwise you are looking at forest land with steep oak flats and ridges. Get you a good map of the Northern section of the Cherokee National Forest. The largest public tract in the state and extends from the Virginia line to the Georgia line. There are lots of forest roads cut through that are gated and won’t allow motorized access, but most of them are semi-easy walking and go for long distances. Not trying to deter you, but prepping you for the task. There are birds taken there every year, but it’s tough hunting.

Offline AdamZ

• Answer the Call...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 03:09:43 PM »
Thanks for that @Gmed, it helps a lot! With the all day hunting there do you hear of, or know any folks who backpack around in there and just sleep where they quit and continue on the next day looking for birds?

Offline Gmed

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 03:20:02 PM »
Probably could. I live here so I never thought about staying in the woods. Depends on what part of the Cherokee you go to, but there are tracts certainly large enough to keep you busy all day. Bring a good GPS.

Offline AdamZ

• Answer the Call...
Re: I seek EAST SOUTH CAROLINA hunting help
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 10:19:14 AM »
Like the sands through the hourglass...
Staying on other side of NC now near Myrtle Beach zone. Anyone have ideas for a South Carolina hunt during Easter Week?
Outfitter, hunting lodge, etc. I'm flying now so I'm not bringing even a gun :-[
Thanks
AZ

Offline Gobbler-one

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: I seek Eastern South Carolina turkey hunting help
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 09:20:02 PM »
I grew up in that area (still have family there) and could recommend several WMA's to hunt near by. I've hunted them all and they have birds. I now live in the southern most part of the state so I don't hunt that area any longer. I'm not certain how much hunting pressure they get now, but it wasn't too bad when I hunted the area. There's a lot of timber company land around the area that lease hunting rights so most locals join hunting clubs and don't mess with the WMA land.
If interested I could PM you a list of the areas I would recommend checking out, but that still wouldn't help much if you're not travelling with a firearm.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 08:53:52 AM »
If you staying at Myrtle Beach you gonna need that shotgun whether you turkey hunt or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gmed

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 11:09:48 AM »
If you staying at Myrtle Beach you gonna need that shotgun whether you turkey hunt or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This....especially if you stay in the mid town. We try to stay in North Myrtle when we go. I hear the mid town is  :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline AdamZ

• Answer the Call...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 02:26:51 PM »
Near Myrtle just as a point of reference. Thanks for the feedback, though.
AZ

Offline Gobbler-one

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 08:23:41 AM »
PM sent.