turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need Help to Get Sub 20ga for Turkeys in My State

Started by zelmo1, February 22, 2021, 03:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Alright guys, this is definitely the right crowd for this request. I live in NH and cannot use anything smaller than a 20 ga for turkeys. It took a lot just to get them to allow shot smaller than #6. Does anyone have the shot/load specs on TSS in a 28 and .410. Pellet energy, penetration data will be great. Any comparisons with lead are great as well. I am trying to get this in for our spring season but am not getting anywhere. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks, Al Baker

Gobble!

Quote from: zelmo1 on February 22, 2021, 03:43:00 PM
Does anyone have the shot/load specs on TSS in a 28 and .410. Pellet energy, penetration data will be great. Any comparisons with lead are great as well.

Pellet energy and penetration is no different than other gauges. A #9 at 1,100 fps is a #9 at 1,100 fps regardless of the gun.

The Federal .410 TSS #9s are 13/16oz loads. They have about 293 pellets in that load.
The Federal 20 gauge Grand Slam shells are 1 5/16oz. In #5s they have roughly 227 pellets in that load.

If they've already accepted the smaller shot sizes its foolish not to accept a 410 when they can be loaded with more lethality than a 20 gauge.

Some data on penetration testing in this article.
https://www.randywakeman.com/FederalReinventstheTurkeyLoadandDoublesItsRange.htm

Pellet count per oz data.

Lead Shot
Lead #2: 89/oz
Lead #4: 136/oz
Lead #5: 173/oz
Lead #6: 222/oz
Lead #7: 295/oz

18g/cc Shot (TSS)
TSS #2: 54/oz
TSS #4: 83/oz
TSS #5: 106/oz
TSS #6: 139/oz
TSS #7: 185/oz
TSS #8: 254/oz
TSS #9: 362/oz

haystaddle

Get in touch with the NH State NWTF Chapter. I know the NWTF Mass  State Chapter and NWTF Regional Director were very helpful in assisting Massachusetts a couple years ago with your exact situation. 

Dtrkyman

Get a hold of Hal, he has all the data you would ever need on shot lethality!  He runs Tungsten Super shots forum and also has a new ammo company, someone posted the name here but I do not remember it.