turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

XR vs XX

Started by tysonhunter, February 21, 2021, 06:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tysonhunter

Well with the ammo short I went with bird in hand vs bird in bush. I shoot Stoeger 3500 with sumtoy 665 and typically XR 12 ga 3" with great results. Problem is only ammo I've found is XX so I grabbed four boxes just in case. Obviously I'll pattern it but I'm curious what thoughts are on these two on comparison??  Can I expect a big difference??

ChesterCopperpot

Double X is a great load. They'll typically open up a good bit faster than the Long Beards but better close up patterns by far. I really like them. Tend to pattern more evenly as well. LBs can get splotchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouri hunter

I would rather use double x than long beard, they aren't as tight and have been more consistent for me.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

MK M GOBL

I use the XX HV's in #5's and are killers for me!

Sometimes those XR's are just to tight when you kill'em up close... LOL he's Dead

MK M GOBL

tysonhunter

With the sumtoy and this year added the FF3 I really think I might prefer the Xx!! Thanks fellas.

old3toe

I also prefer the double x high velocity 3 1/2 2oz or the double x magnum 3 1/2 2 1/4oz loads over the longbeards. I've shot some amazing patterns with the long beards and killed several birds with them but then ran into issues with poi/poa moving around badly. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what but I'm just not willing to chance it again. I've yet to see any consistency issues with any of the "older school" winchester loads. You can load your gun with confidence every time every hunt with them. Their performance hasn't changed for me in 20 years.

tysonhunter

Quote from: old3toe on February 21, 2021, 11:32:01 PM
  I also prefer the double x high velocity 3 1/2 2oz or the double x magnum 3 1/2 2 1/4oz loads over the longbeards. I've shot some amazing patterns with the long beards and killed several birds with them but then ran into issues with poi/poa moving around badly. Not sure if it was a bad batch or what but I'm just not willing to chance it again. I've yet to see any consistency issues with any of the "older school" winchester loads. You can load your gun with confidence every time every hunt with them. Their performance hasn't changed for me in 20 years.

Thanks this is great feedback! I've loved the density of the XR but honestly with my choke setup its to my detriment at times how tight the pattern is under 30 hence adding optics this year.

Bowguy

XX is a better load imo. The poi def moves with the XR in my experience plus at normal ranges it's too tight.

old3toe

Your welcome. The patterns are very dense with the XR's which makes drawing a fine bead at close ranges very critical. It's very easy to miss with them even if you do everything right but then the bird does something unexpected. Especially in woods hunting scenarios where shots can be so close.
  Bowguy I've noticed more and more guys talking about the same issues with poi moving around with the XR's. I just hope they don't eventually phase out the double x and super x loads in place of the long beards!

10gaugemag

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 21, 2021, 09:10:17 PM

Sometimes those XR's are just to tight when you kill'em up close... LOL he's Dead

MK M GOBL
What gun and choke with the XX HV #5?

Greg Massey

This morning i was fortunate to find 5 boxes of Winchester Double x 3 inch 20 ga. 1 1/4 5 shot for just over 5 dollars box. Box Qty was 10/ea.  This was a great find locally.  Double x and Supreme's are good shell in my opinion.

Bowguy

Quote from: old3toe on February 22, 2021, 06:16:37 PM
  Your welcome. The patterns are very dense with the XR's which makes drawing a fine bead at close ranges very critical. It's very easy to miss with them even if you do everything right but then the bird does something unexpected. Especially in woods hunting scenarios where shots can be so close.
  Bowguy I've noticed more and more guys talking about the same issues with poi moving around with the XR's. I just hope they don't eventually phase out the double x and super x loads in place of the long beards!

Well I'm aggravated they discontinued the regular xx supreme magnums for the high velocity compromise imo. Less shot in the air is not what we want. The bird doesn't get deader when we push a pellet slightly faster. The HV imo is marketing but I've got 80 or so magnum loads. Once they run out I'll be forced to try the HV.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: 10gaugemag on February 22, 2021, 06:39:53 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 21, 2021, 09:10:17 PM

MK M GOBL
What gun and choke with the XX HV #5?

Remington 11-87 12ga 3" and a Briley Super Full Turkey .665 diameter with straight rifling. (The straight rifling is claimed to stop the wad from spinning and increase pattern density)

MK M GOBL

Missouri hunter

Well I'm aggravated they discontinued the regular xx supreme magnums for the high velocity compromise imo. Less shot in the air is not what we want. The bird doesn't get deader when we push a pellet slightly faster. The HV imo is marketing but I've got 80 or so magnum loads. Once they run out I'll be forced to try the HV.
[/quote]

What I don't get is they still have double x magnums 2oz for the 3" on the Winchester website but no one carries them. Even before all the run on ammo. I was able to find one box of 5 shot a couple weeks ago. I really miss all the 2oz 3" standard lead loads.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Missouri hunter on February 23, 2021, 10:36:41 AM

What I don't get is they still have double x magnums 2oz for the 3" on the Winchester website but no one carries them. Even before all the run on ammo. I was able to find one box of 5 shot a couple weeks ago. I really miss all the 2oz 3" standard lead loads.
[/quote]  The only place I've found these Winchester 2 oz loads, was one year at Bass Pro in Memphis Tenn. i got 3 boxes of them in 12 ga. hell of a shell..