OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just a reminder - choke tubes

Started by Greg Massey, February 21, 2021, 11:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Don't forget to lube those choke tubes ever season with anti - seize lube. 5 dollar tube of grease can save you a lot of problems in the future. Just a reminder..

USMC0331

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 21, 2021, 11:31:40 AM
Don't forget to lube those choke tubes ever season with anti - seize lube. 5 dollar tube of grease can save you a lot of problems in the future. Just a reminder..
Factual information!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Don't take much

Good reminder Greg.  Cleaning guns now are you?

Greg Massey

Quote from: owlhoot on February 21, 2021, 12:54:58 PM
Don't take much

Good reminder Greg.  Cleaning guns now are you?
Yes, cleaning guns and playing calls. Waiting on all the snow to melt..

Tom007

Great tip here, thx Greg
"Solo hunter"

bbcoach

Very Good Advice Greg!  Another piece of advice is to put some on the threads when you store your guns in the off season.  If any moisture or condensation gets in or around those threads while they are stored without any lubrication, you will pay for it.  You will probably see several threads, in the next couple of months, that will ask how to get a stuck choke out of a gun barrel.  Thanks Greg!

Missouri hunter

Do you guys use any specific kind? I've never greased mine but I've been thinking about it. I just have used gun oil and never leave them tight when stored.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

old3toe

I always use black powder nipple/plug grease/anti seize. Can be found pretty cheap most times in any sporting goods section.

Jester87

Good advice, just finished upland post-season cleaning.

bbcoach

Quote from: Missouri hunter on February 21, 2021, 08:48:28 PM
Do you guys use any specific kind? I've never greased mine but I've been thinking about it. I just have used gun oil and never leave them tight when stored.
Plenty of manufactures out there.  Some are sold as choke grease and or anti-seize.  Some even use Hi temp wheel bearing grease.  A little goes a LONG way.  The object is to keep any water or condensation from entering that space between the barrel and choke tube.  If your gun is dual purpose for ducks and turkeys or hunt in the rain, it is a must.  If you have ever had to try and get a stuck choke out of a barrel, payed a gunsmith big $$$ to do it or ruined a barrel, you will understand.  GREAT INSURANCE!   

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: bbcoach on February 22, 2021, 07:27:49 AM

If your gun is dual purpose for ducks and turkeys or hunt in the rain, it is a must.  If you have ever had to try and get a stuck choke out of a barrel, payed a gunsmith big $$$ to do it or ruined a barrel, you will understand.  GREAT INSURANCE!

When I started waterfowl hunting I started using choke grease. Now that I have all extended aftermarket tubes (Carlson's 3-pack, IC .665), it's super easy to swap out and place a little grease on the first couple threads. I carry the grease tube in my blind bag in case I switch spots and need to switch to a tighter choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Screw in choke tubes and grease should be SOP, regardless of gun and game. Checked out my 870 Super Mag turkey gun just this past weekend. New grease for the choke tube, new battery for the red dot and a bit of fresh lube for the action bars.

jordanz7935

Good advice. I always put a dab of TC super lube antiseize on the threads and a few dabs of oil on the body of the choke.

2eagles

I found out I was using too much choke grease and my chokes were collecting dirt making installation difficult. Do it! Don't over do it.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott