turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Re: TSS chokes

Started by Jimspur, February 20, 2021, 03:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimspur

Hey Guys - I've got a 12ga 3" 11-87 SP with 26" barrel.
I've been shooting Hevi13 3" 2oz #6's through a Pure Gold .670 ported tube
for years.
Was thinking about trying Apex TSS 3" 2oz #8's.
How will these shoot through my .670 Pure Gold ported tube?

Tom007

The reading and posts I've read say TSS shoots well with .665 - .675 chokes. The experts will lend a few responses, but I certainly would try that choke to see the results. Good luck...
"Solo hunter"

owlhoot

Quote from: Tom007 on February 20, 2021, 04:25:59 PM
The reading and posts I've read say TSS shoots well with .665 - .675 chokes. The experts will lend a few responses, but I certainly would try that choke to see the results. Good luck...

Agreed, give that one a shot. TSS is easy and shoots well in most chokes. Haven't bought a new choke for the many guns I've set up yet. 

Jimspur

Yeah, I was hoping to not have to buy a new choke. I'm definitely giving
this one a shot.

Tom007

Post some pics if you can....
"Solo hunter"

bbcoach

That .670 Pure Gold should shoot well with that Remmy.  They like chokes around the .665 range.  If you are going TSS, why not step up to #9's?  The TSS (18 gm/cc) 9's will definitely do the job and put more pellets in your pattern compared to the 8's.  I shoot Hevi 7's (12 gm/cc) through a .670 Pure Gold and would go 9's in TSS if I would switch.  I can't see that happening since the Hevi 7's are devastating and I have plenty.

Jimspur

My logic was I have around 410 pellets in a 2oz #6. The TSS 2oz #8's
would have 508. I was thinking that would be plenty of pellets.

bbcoach

IMO, TSS is WAY overkill in a 12 gauge.  TSS allows .410's and 20 gauges to be legitimate 40 yard guns.  Your Hevi 6's will get the job done everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.  So if I were going to take the plunge and spend $10 a shell for TSS, I would get the most Bang for my Buck and put the most pellets in my pattern I could.  TSS #8=504 compared to TSS#9=724.  Just my 2 cents.  Have you tried the Hevi 7's?  They would put 556 downrange for you.  As I said and many will attest to, they are bad medicine on a turkeys noggin and should shoot well with that .670 Pure Gold.

Jimspur

I never tried Hevi13 7's. Had such good luck with 6's saw no reason
to change. I only thought about trying TSS because I gotta feeling
that Hevi-Shot might discontinue Hevi13 now that they're making TSS.

bbcoach

Quote from: Jimspur on February 20, 2021, 08:22:02 PM
I never tried Hevi13 7's. Had such good luck with 6's saw no reason
to change. I only thought about trying TSS because I gotta feeling
that Hevi-Shot might discontinue Hevi13 now that they're making TSS.
You are probably correct with your assumption but if you had such good luck with 6's, why not buy extra boxes of 6's and continue those.  I have had such good luck with the 7's, I bought enough to last MANY, MANY years.  I'm not going to try to keep up with technology when I already have something that gets the job done and is WAY cheaper.

Jimspur

bbcoach