only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Run to bird after the shot?

Started by mcw3734, February 20, 2021, 12:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Gus715

Can't say that I've ever done that.

catman529

I've always gone to my bird pretty quick. Sometimes just walk up to it and sometimes a dead run. I'll usually step on the head or pick it up by the head till it stops flopping. If for some reason its eyes are still open I'll stomp or wring the neck to finish it off quickly. Birds are weird critters and sometimes a "dead" turkey ain't always dead.

I was shooting starlings in the barn the other day and dropped one like a rock, thought it was a head shot, but a few minutes later it was sitting up looking around. Now they are a little easier to dispatch than a turkey. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turkeytider

Quote from: Tom007 on February 20, 2021, 01:42:32 PM
Sit and enjoy the moment. If he's flopping, I am ready to drop the hammer if he starts to seriously retreat....

That's pretty much me. You can tell when a bird is well hit by the way he folds , IMO. In videos I've thought it looks kind of silly tearing a$$ through the woods. Also, I don't mean you have to be solemn and morose by any means, but why do so many of these guys on these videos laugh like hyenas after shooting a bird? Satisfaction in the accomplishment is fine. Personally, I've never felt mirth after ending a life. Guess I'm just old and more serious about life and mortality.

owlhoot

Quote from: catman529 on February 20, 2021, 04:24:53 PM
I've always gone to my bird pretty quick. Sometimes just walk up to it and sometimes a dead run. I'll usually step on the head or pick it up by the head till it stops flopping. If for some reason its eyes are still open I'll stomp or wring the neck to finish it off quickly. Birds are weird critters and sometimes a "dead" turkey ain't always dead.

I was shooting starlings in the barn the other day and dropped one like a rock, thought it was a head shot, but a few minutes later it was sitting up looking around. Now they are a little easier to dispatch than a turkey. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ever had one come back alive in the truck? Friend with me did one time. I looked down on the passenger side floor board and between his feet was a longbeards head peri scoping. That was fun.

Turkeytider

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 20, 2021, 02:07:37 PM
Seen it in those old videos I watched did it too, not anymore though, I kill them close with some lead and they're dead! No need for any of this tss stuff...

With you on that! I much prefer to shoot 30 yards and in. I don't want him to know what hit him. Close in plus 2oz of #6 Hevi-13 is a pretty good anchor. I like to see them blink before I shoot.

Loyalist84

I always hurried in. Cleared the action of the gun, stood up and got over to the bird to wring its neck. Whether or not its neck was already broken - just as soon make a dying bird's passing a little faster rather than watch it flop around and be unsure of things.

RED NECK

I have never ran to a dead bird, or jumped around celebrating like I just hit the world series winning home run in bottom of 9th,Game 7.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

springtime_overland

Killing one of these tough south MS birds gets me fired up every time. Usually it is after several long days or weeks of hard hunting..

I am sure with some age i will walk to a bird, but for now, safely, i want my hands on him ASAP..

Gooserbat

I used to, not so much now, but I don't sit there and relish the moment.  I just shoot, get up and walk to it.  Then I stand over my kill like a victorious gladiator.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

3chunter

Old Gobbler

When he is stone cold dead running is obsolete..but of there is some questionable behavior like coordinated flapping ..and especially heads up ...better get on over to him quickly
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Aholdren

Grow up in the hills will make you get on them after the trigger pull..   Flat lands their is seldom a need to hurry.  With the chance of them getting the slightest jump and getting their wings locked then its good bye for good.

WV Flopper

Run no. Hustle it up, sometimes. Depends on the situation.

GobbleNut

Around these here parts, where turkeys are generally found on some pretty steep country, every second you sit and wait after the shot is another ten or twenty yards down the hill a gobbler will flop.  I get to them as quickly as I can, cuz I don't want to have to carry one back up the slope any further than I have to.

Unfortunately, nowadays "as quickly as I can" is something more of a fast shuffle, or maybe even a medium waddle, than what you young'uns would refer to as running.   ;D

3bailey3

a few years back i missed one at about 10 steps, next shot he was flying and missed again, third shot dropped him, flopping i walked to him so happy i had got him after 3 shots, about 10 steps from him he gets up and starts running, i had left my gun at tree, i had no more shells, i ran as hard as i could after him, one of his wings was dragging the ground as he ran away, never caught up to him and also died my heart was beating so hard after chasing him as far as i could..