OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Made in the USA

Started by turkeykiller22, February 19, 2021, 10:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Some of you guys on here know that I recently released a vest back in January. if you have not seen it you can check it out at www.groundedbrand.com. I am currently working on some new products and wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Manufacturing items in the USA is expensive as compared to going overseas. We all would love to support our local economy but it has to be justifiable. There is a SMALL opportunity for me to get a few products made here in the USA. However that would mean that your price would be higher. This leads to my next question.

Would you be willing to pay a good bit more for products made here is the USA? For example a pair of
lightweight gloves made here would normally run your $15-25. Would you be willing to spend $40 on them if they were here?

The higher end pants cost $80-$100 would you be willing to pay $150-$180 per pair if they were made in the states?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses. I will be glad to answer any questions that I can. I have small kids and my plate is full so it may take me a day or two to respond but I WILL respond.

-Drew 
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Ozarks Hillbilly

I always try and purchase products made in USA if available.  I will pay more if it's a quality product.  I  am to poor to buy cheap.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jstocks

If I'm paying $100 for pants, I can and will pay $150 for them if made here.
Same for gloves.

I expect better quality if I pay the higher price when compared to lower priced non domestic products though.

Dtrkyman

It is a tricky situation, everyone cries about cheap China junk, then someone makes a quality USA made product and everyone cries it is over priced.

There is always a group of guys who will pay a premium for quality!

Buy once cry once!

NCL

I think Dtrkyman nailed it. The problem I see is in your two examples the products are at least double the price of the lower end price point. So the question becomes are you will to pay twice the amount for the same quality product? If the quality of the product is twice as good as the lower end then maybe. The problem becomes how do you demonstrate the quality of a product? Maybe a real good warranty? Interesting conundrum.   

Greg Massey

I'm sure your products are well made with that being said, i came up thru times were money was hard to come by and camo wasn't a thing we just had to have to kill game. We hunted in whatever we could afford this included jeans and no - insulated rubber boot or some kind of leather boots. Lot of these items were hand me downs from grandparents, fathers and older brothers. You can be successful regardless what products your wearing outdoors. Would i pay 100 - 150 dollars for hunting paints, no i wouldn't.  Would i pay almost 200 dollars for turkey vest, no i wouldn't regardless were it's made. I just have to be honest and say 50 dollars would be high for me to pay for a pair of hunting pants. Sure as I've gotten older and can afford some of the better hunting products, i have spend just over 100 dollars for camo coveralls and insulated boot's. etc.. Now buying guns and turkey calls is a whole different story.. LOL... This is just my opinion. But i do like stuff like everyone else that's made in the USA... I don't fault anyone for buying what they can afford to be successful in the outdoor. 

g8rvet

I agree with Greg.  For me it is more about if something is disposable vs an heirloom.  Vest?  I would pay more for better quality and perfect fit, but it better last 10 seasons.  Pants and shirts?  No way.  I think of them as disposable.  My favorite mouth call is a cheap production call and I have a ton of them.  I am comfortable with them and they are disposable.  I have custom pot calls that I like and use, although I have an old one that is a cheapo that I have killed so many birds with or called in for others it has become a keepsake for me.  I just bought a new leafy jacket and paid the premium for American made.  It should last a while.  My last one was 10+ years.

For duck hunting, I have some Filson Waxed Cotton pants.  They are like iron, gross looking, expensive and I will have them for a long time. Paid big for them.  Worth every penny. Pendelton wool shirts, McCalister cotton duck shirts - worth the premium. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

btomlin

I would be hard pressed to spend more than $50 on a pair of pants....seems like barbed wire does not care if you spend $50 or $150 on pants.  A jacket or vest, I would be more apt to spend some coin.  $40 gloves...nope.  I'm been in situations before where a glove or sock had to be sacrificed.

fmf

i would not be willing to pay that much more for an equal product if the only discernible difference is where the product is made. Now, I'm always willing to pay more, even considerably more, if the product is made of superior materials and superior craftsmanship, with a warranty to reflect that it is a superior product (ie longer more flexible warranty than a similar overseas made product). 

MK M GOBL

If said product is of better quality for the difference in the price I would, saying it's going to out last, out perform I'm all about paying for a quality product and then top it off made in USA  :z-winnersmiley:

MK M GOBL

Tail Feathers

$150 camo pants probably aren't in my future.  I can get some very satisfactory camo pants for around $40.
I will pay well for a good vest, maybe 10% more if made in America.  Sometimes the budget outweighs the made in America feelings.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ChesterCopperpot

Gloves, I'd be very unlikely to spend more than $20 for lightweight gloves. They accomplish little and tend to get lost. Britches, I'd probably top out in the $125 range for lightweight britches, possibly $150 but that would absolutely have to be pants that held up for years and years and preferably offered something other currently available products didn't offer. I think about a brand like Sitka (which I don't personally like) and their gear garners the price it does because it lasts forever. I know people wearing bibs and parkas they bought twelve or fifteen years ago. Buy once, cry once is very real so you're going to have to be sure you're selling a buy once product. If the quality is there and you're offering something no one else is, I think you could get that. It's a matter of branding and customer trust. Only one way to build that. But there are certainly plenty of companies currently getting those type prices (First Lite, Sitka, KUIU, etc.). The market is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

I try to buy everything I have made in USA. We all know how tough that is.  It's all about quality. USA goods are usually quality made. I have come across USA made stuff that did not hold up. That was due to the raw materials that were used. Quality has two main criteria, high level, well made raw materials is number one. Number two is how those materials get put together, in essence, what talent level craftsman (or Craftswoman)  actually makes the product. Success for the end product is quality/competent labor putting together high level quality products. I am, and have paid a premium for products that have both. We all have to hope that the "Made in the USA" label actually does mean quality labor turning out long lasting quality products.  Quality control measures hopefully prevent inferior USA products from getting to the market place. That should hopefully be all part of our made in the USA label......that is in my opinion worth a premium....be safe, best of luck Drew...

MO_HUNTER

Just gonna say... I looked at the vest and man, I absolutely love it! I spent a lot of money over the last couple of years buying a couple vests...wish I would have seen this! I will buy one of these when I need a new vest. Will spend more for American Made!

slicksbeagles1

I agree with the American ???????? made but as all have said it would have to be superior quality all the way and I mean everything thing. It will have to last last last. The product would have to offer the best warranty in the world, there is give and take until it is a proven product something will have to be offered for people to believe in the product. The Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite etc. all could be made here but it would cut into company profits.