Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Have you shot and missed, then succeeded with follow up shot?

Started by ChiefOsceola, February 19, 2021, 08:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3chunter

Unfortunately, lots of times. My second shot is always the most deadly for some reason. Hear me out:
From deer to ducks to everything between. My second shot has just been more accurate.  This was probably caused my deer hunting with dogs at a young age.  I just always instinct shot and it's like I settle down on shot number 2.  For turkeys I don't miss first shot a lot but when I do the second shot is right on him usually.  I attribute it to instinct but I probably need to learn how to shoot. Lol.
On the plus side I am a heck of a backup on the fly type shooter.

ChiefBubba

I've done it twice. First time was here in Florida, called a gobbler that flew over some trees and landed about 10 yards in front of me. Rolled him on the second shot. Second time was on a New York fall hunt, missed the hen and got her on the second shot. Got a nice Scott Bashore Wingbone from that one. Bubba

eggshell

done it multiple times, my buddy actually has teased me that I should just shoot up in the air on the first shot and kill them with the follow up. He was telling some other guys this one day and said I have never seen him miss on the second shot, they fall dead as a hammer. Now, to quantify that I just don't shoot a second shot unless I think the bird was wounded or it is clean. From my early youth until they got too sparse to hunt I was an avid ruffed grouse hunter and all that was woods jump shooting. I was pretty darn good at it if I say so myself. A turkey is just bigger.

I had a gobbler come onto a ledge above me one year and it was a very steep angle (like a cliff). He was plenty close enough so I shot and I suppose being on such an angle I was low. well he flew off that cliff quartering away from me ( my all time favorite station) so I swing through and he folds up immediately and I hear him crash over the hill. My buddy yells from below, did you get him. He comes up and I tell him the bird fell over the bank and I'm sure he's dead. He confirms he heard a hard thud. We go over and there is zero sign of a bird or where he fell. We look for several minutes and I am upset. He even states again he heard the thud and confirms he knows I usually roll them up. We are standing there and I am disgusted, I even say I'm going to count the bird against my last tag  and I'm done. All of a sudden I hear sound like someone knocking on a wall from another room. I look over just in time to see a foot rise and fall from a stump. I exclaim, "there he is" and my buddy says where. I walk over and look into the hollow stump and there is my gobbler who just finished his last death flop. I pulled him out and turned to my buddy and said, "hole in one!". he laughs and says only you could do that.

makestomstremble

I believe in giving everything a sporting chance. That's why we don't call that first shot a miss when we whiff. It's called a "warning shot".

Turkeytider

I guess it would depend on the situation ( cover, what the bird did, etc ) as to whether or not I`d even take a second shot. I just hope to the good Lord that I never cripple one . That`s a main reason why I`ll never shoot at one beyond 40 yards ( and preferably closer ). I think I`d throw up if I had one wounded and he got away.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

springtime_overland

Once, but 4 times I have missed early morning then killed later in the day.. I get pissed and wont leave the woods after a miss like most will.. I put on some miles after a miss.. Only once I wasn't able to avenge a miss on the same day and that hurt more than any because i had to sleep on it,, and ended up not even killing one that whole season  :'(..

chipper

In 30 years I can only think of twice, once on second shot and once on the 3rd shot

trkehunr93

g8rvet

My favorite was on a bird with my new 20 gauge.  I worked him to the right range and he turned just right at about 30 steps.  It is a peep sight style and I held the sight too low. I shot and he flopped and went down and jumped back up, heading right to me. I waited until he was about 25 yards and squeezed on his head.  Nothing.  I looked at the side of the gun and the first shell had hung on ejection. As I shucked the new round in, the bird fell dead 20 yards away - stone dead, no flopping.  I had shot low and heart shot him.  It would have been more awesome if he had fell out right as I pulled the trigger on the second shot - a true silenced round! 

I did miss one in the rain that came running by me right as I was sitting down.  About 10 yards and I aimed at his head. Clean miss and he took flight.  Mistake!  I thought to myself, okay, now this is just shooting a decoying goose - lead for his head.  I took the shot at about 40 yards and folded him so hard that he broke his clavicle (wishbone) as he hit the ground with a thud. 

I have missed a few, but I don't want to talk about that.   :z-guntootsmiley: >:(
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Happy

No. If the first shot doesn't connect then I don't shoot again. Now I have had a few that I didn't hit as solid as i would have liked and required further attention. One of which turned into more shooting, a foot race, an obstacle course and a rasslin' match.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

hootgobbleyelpgobble

First bird of the 2020 season. A pair of 2yo birds came cruising through around 20 yards. Lifted my head for the first shot, panicked 2nd and 3rd shot clean misses with the bird in the air. I was going for head shots for some reason now looking back. 4th and last shell, decided for a body shot and the bird folded.

I always try to take the first available shot on a bird and rushed it then.

owlhoot

zelmo1

Had 3 2 yr olds circle me, one brushed my boot. He walked in front of me and I put my dot on his head and sneezed, yes sneezed as I pulled the trigger. I shot 4 feet over him at 8 feet, lol. He ran for a bit and I was laughing so hard he actually stopped and gobbled. I finished the task at 42 yards. Worst miss in history.  :OGturkeyhead:

Flgobbler

Not yet, but I do recall missing a public land Osceola 3 times on the last day of the season..

Mike