turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Moonshiners

Started by 3bailey3, February 17, 2021, 09:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

Nothing to do with turkey hunting but i just watched a few episodes of Moonshiners on Discovery channel and really liked it, My Grandfather made some back in the day and my father was a ABC agent, interesting mix. Also saw that Killer Beez was on it, a comedian that grew up close to me, our Dad's started in our local PD.

guesswho

I like that show.  All my family are from West Virginia.  I remember as a kid both my Grand Fathers were known to run a batch or 12.  I remember as I got a little older the favorite around there was apple pie, everybody talking about apple pie and when would Hube have some more.  Took me a long time to catch on to why Papaw was always making apple pie and I never saw the first piece.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tal

The little boy in Sunday School was answering the teacher.... Who makes the sun shine? God does. Who makes the stars shine? God does. Who makes the moon shine? Daddy does!

Greg Massey

I've been known to take little drank of it in my younger days. I always keep it around for medical reasons. LOL..I have come upon some remains of old still before, just some old barrels and rock stacked around those running springs while turkey hunting.

ChesterCopperpot

If you're interested in these types of things, I was asked to write the foreword to this book recently and the book is wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Chester, never knew what the Copperpot meant! now we know.

owlhoot

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 17, 2021, 10:13:25 PM
If you're interested in these types of things, I was asked to write the foreword to this book recently and the book is wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll be danged

Cut N Run

There's a couple of old still sites at my primary hunting ground. There's remnants of a blown up still along the bank on a flat by a bend in the creek at one site.  I'd love to know if that explosion was accidental or deliberate?  The other site is beside a different creek that's more protected and has a hand laid rock-lined floor on a ledge beside the creek.  You almost have to be right on top of it before you can see it.  There's a few broken mason jars scattered in the woods, an easy toss distance away from the rock floor.

I also keep some around for when my joints get creaky.  I keep it in the freezer, because it just goes down smoother that way...I sure don't need to worry about it freezing.

Cheers!

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

3bailey3

Here's a pic of my Dad busting a still back in the day, i wish i had know about all that evidence was that was in the garage.

Gooserbat

I have my Great Grandfather's still.  He was a blacksmith and made it himself before or during probation.  It was lost when my great uncle  developed Alzheimer's and took it from the shed and set it up.  About 15 or 20 years later I found it deer hunting. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rzrbac

I watched documentary on Popcorn Sutton long before that show. I have always been intrigued by running a still. Always hoped I would get to know someone who was part of that culture. I'm pretty sure a lot of that show is faked, some of those guys don't look like they are in good enough shape to pack that equipment and mash ingredients very far in the woods. I really enjoy the master distiller show more. I've been contemplating trying to build a still and running a batch. I'm not much of a drinking man but I much prefer the clear corn liquor over aged in oak barrels. I was given some that was made in Georgia several years ago. There's nothing better for a cough or sore throat. Sure wouldn't mind having a stash for medicinal purposes. Maybe I'll get around to building a still when the weather breaks. I'm thinking of using beer kegs if I can find a couple.

owlhoot

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 17, 2021, 10:17:09 PM
Chester, never knew what the Copperpot meant! now we know.
LOL , now I could use a drink.
Not as strong as shine , but anyone ever had walnut wine?

btomlin

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 17, 2021, 10:37:50 PM
Here's a pic of my Dad busting a still back in the day, i wish i had know about all that evidence was that was in the garage.

Safe to say that is NOT at Uncle Jesse's place.  No way them Dukes would ever get caught.  :)

bear hunter

I came across a old still hunting with a older gentleman this year. He said it was his familys. His uncle grazed cattle on one of the natural balds on what is now the appalachian trail. His uncle used cane to pipe his water into a dry hollar to avoid being caught. He said his uncle never did get caught even though they were always trying to catch him.

Happy

Ran onto one in WV once. It was active and funny thing is another fellow I know ran in to it as well. They didn't hide it very well. When I was down the southern end of the state several years ago I mentioned it and had about 5 offers from the local boys to take some of their products home. Had my company vehicle so I declined.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club