OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Load questions

Started by g8rvet, February 17, 2021, 08:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Have worked out some loads for several M/L for myself and family and friends. 

What do ya'll think of shooting a 2.5 ounce load with 85 gr of ffG?  Any ideas on approximate speeds?  It seems to hit hard and we like our pattern at 35 yards.  It killed 2 turkeys last year-both about 30 yards give or take.  I looked to see for ideas online, but short of buying a chrono, not sure how to answer that.

My brother's gun liked 75 grains of ffG with about 2.25 ounce load.  Only a 25 yard gun as it is a fixed choke.  Worries me about lethality, but it penetrated wood pretty well.

All the loads are a mix of #7 15g/cc and  #5 lead. 

Just like to hear some thoughts. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

reflexl

With 2.5oz of shot and that charge about 800 fps. The 15g/cc shot will penetrate fair at those speeds. Obviously enough to kill a bird. I know of 2 instances of a load about identical to that not cleanly killing a well hit turkey. That is what led me to experiment so much. Now the shot exits the head at 40 yards.

g8rvet

Perfect.  Thanks.  I have enough components now to heat up the load a bit and experiment.  I think I will also try backing down a bit on the payload as well. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.