Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to turn a bright bolt to a matte finish?

Started by mcw3734, February 16, 2021, 12:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

I've started shopping for a new semi-auto shotgun and looking for one with a matte finish in both the walnut stock and blued barrel. Many options out there have a bright, shiny bolts. So, I was wondering: Is there a way to turn the bolt to a matte finish or a darker shade?

lunghit

I'll be following this thread. One of my guns I plan on using has a bright shiny bolt and I was thinking this could be a problem. Going by pics on the internet it looks like some had the bolts of shotguns cerakoted when the gun was done.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

lunghit

"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

ChesterCopperpot

A good, competent gunsmith can bead blast the mirror finish and get it dulled down a good bit. I've had a couple done like that. I'll try to post a few pictures when I get back home.

I'll add that the above link is for a cerakote finish and eventually that finish will wear off the bolt. It may hold up a season or two, but moving parts will always break down cerakote. The man who does the cerakoting on my guns is also who bead blasted my bolts and there's a reason for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

I had an 1187 Premier that had a bright, shiny bolt. I wiped it down with acetone to remove any oil or grease and gave it a couple of coats of flat black spray paint. It wasn't permanent, but did last for a couple of years.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: captpete on February 16, 2021, 04:08:59 PM
I had an 1187 Premier that had a bright, shiny bolt. I wiped it down with acetone to remove any oil or grease and gave it a couple of coats of flat black spray paint. It wasn't permanent, but did last for a couple of years.
I think if you're going to go the coating route, this is your best bet. The paint will likely hold up about as long as the cerakote on the bolt, and you can touch it up or completely recoat it a hundred times for what it would cost to cerakote.

lowoctane

Quote from: mcw3734 on February 16, 2021, 12:29:02 AM
I've started shopping for a new semi-auto shotgun and looking for one with a matte finish in both the walnut stock and blued barrel. Many options out there have a bright, shiny bolts. So, I was wondering: Is there a way to turn the bolt to a matte finish or a darker shade?

Is it polished metal or chromed? If it's polished I'd buff it lightly with 6-800 grit and cold blue it to your color.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

ChesterCopperpot

If it's polished bluing it is definitely the best option. If it's chromed I would, again, encourage you to have a competent gunsmith bead blast it if you want a forever fix. Cerakote or paint will both wear off, which with paint is fine if you're willing to touch up every season or two. Here's what bead blasting one looks like. Comes out looking about like a coat of primer. And it stays like that forever. This one looks the same as the day I had it done.

lowoctane

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 03, 2021, 07:12:17 PM
If it's polished bluing it is definitely the best option. If it's chromed I would, again, encourage you to have a competent gunsmith bead blast it if you want a forever fix. Cerakote or paint will both wear off, which with paint is fine if you're willing to touch up every season or two. Here's what bead blasting one looks like. Comes out looking about like a coat of primer. And it stays like that forever. This one looks the same as the day I had it done.

Like it!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

TJR

Had some leftover scraps from my mossy oak gun wrap I put in my polished wingmaster bolt. Cleaned it with alcohol and applied. Been on for 2 seasons and holding up fine.