OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Any ideas  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Any ideas
« on: February 14, 2021, 09:40:32 PM »
I’m not much of a box call user. I have a few. My favorite is a hen box from Mr. Fulkerson, I think it sounds great and actually like a hen, not a box call. For the most part, a box call just sounds like a box call to me. A few years ago I bought a Roger Latham box off eBay. I only bought it for nostalgic reasons and it sounds horrendous. Any ideas how to make it sound better, I wouldn’t mind hunting it a time or two but in its current state, well below my standards for sound. For those who have one or hunted with one do they all just sound terrible and can it be modified/tuned to at least sound good enough to hunt with?

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Any ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 10:26:40 PM »
For the most part, a box call just sounds like a box call to me.

Well, you just haven't heard a box call caller call on a quality box call yet. You got box callers, then you got lid draggers, LOL.

A few years ago I bought a Roger Latham box off eBay. I only bought it for nostalgic reasons and it sounds horrendous. Any ideas how to make it sound better, I wouldn’t mind hunting it a time or two but in its current state, well below my standards for sound. For those who have one or hunted with one do they all just sound terrible and can it be modified/tuned to at least sound good enough to hunt with?

Follow Yoder's instructions in the thread the below. Bet you can get that thing plumbed up quick.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,94334.msg923931.html#msg923931
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:41:05 AM by paboxcall »
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 12:25:19 AM »
Thanks for the link, I’ll give that a try. I was honestly thinking sandpaper on the rails and lid. If I messes it up it can just go back on the shelf as I originally bought it for.

Now for the not hearing quality calls and callers, I was at Unicoi last year. I wasn’t referring to most of those guys, that comment was made with local hunters and friends I’ve heard. As a matter of fact you referred me to a certain callmaker whom I still haven’t contacted. I do like the looks of his calls and haven’t forgot about him.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 12:40:27 AM »
I'd try using green scotch brite before hitting those rails with sand paper. But even before that, try tuning the screw, woods change over time, especially if not stored correctly or put away wet from a rain storm. I'm certain you'll get what you are looking for, long before you go changing the curve on the rails or paddle.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 01:21:11 AM »
Thank you sir. Look forward to seeing some pics of your gobblers and those boxes again this spring. If I remember right you have one very fine box that always catches my attention in the photos.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 07:27:06 AM »
Thanks, I put the scotch brite to the paddle first as it has had kind of white chalk on it since I got it. I just chalked over it once and didn’t seem to help. Anyway the screw was about a full turn off. Can’t believe that made such a difference. Now it doesn’t sound like my call from Mr. Fulkerson but I believe it would call in a gobbler. Again, thanks a lot, this box may get a few miles on it this spring.