OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reflex style sight questions

Started by btomlin, February 14, 2021, 11:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btomlin

I haven't been able to find one to physically inspect so I am curious, if the option is present, do you prefer just a simple dot or a circle dot.   I'm currently thinking the SF Kingslayer with the green circle dot would be nice.  At say 30yrds, how much area is the 65MOA circle going to cover?  I don't want a complex picture.

Also...how is the durability of the reflex style sights??  Are the lens easy to scratch or does the housing provide decent protection?  I've seen where it appears some folks use the covers out in the woods.

I've been a simple bead/full choke/6shot guy for the last 12 years and just wanting to stir a few things up.  Thanks for any info.  Might even get nuts and add a .665 or .675 and try some 5s. Lol

Tom007

They are very durable, and well protected. I can't speak for the circle/dot reticle, but the simple single MOA dots are great. Personally, I would stay away from any green reticle. When the worlds thickens, it seems to me that the green forest background would be tough with green optics. Strictly my opinion, not related to experience. The only thing in the turkey woods that is red is his waddle. I put that red dot where the feathers met his waddle, he's toast. Works great. That's how I sight in. Best of luck, more guys can chime in to give you more experienced advice.
"Solo hunter"

Johnhunter21

I believe most reflex sights come with a rubber cover that comes off and on easily. I just purchased a SightMark Mini Shot M-spec that has a steel protective shield that surrounds the aluminum housing around the glass. I havent had a chance to try it out yet but will be using it in the turkey woods this spring. Good luck!

rakkin6

I have 2 red dots and they both come with a protective cap. I just have the red 3 moa dot in both and.it is nice. One is a Vortex viper one is a Burris FF3.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

ccleroy

Picked up this AT3 sight a few weeks ago. I've ran Burris and Vortex for years and cant tell a difference in this sight and the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: ccleroy on February 14, 2021, 09:12:41 PM
Picked up this AT3 sight a few weeks ago. I've ran Burris and Vortex for years and cant tell a difference in this sight and the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nice setup! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

THattaway

OP,
FF style reflex sights are great for older eyes. I've grown to love them in the last few years. Have a friend who hunted a red dot style with circular reticle for a few years. A couple seasons ago he had to pass on a marginal shot due to the sight washing out, too bright even on lowest setting when he called in a gobbler early on an overcast morning in the woods. Said he just couldn't see the tom well enough. Said a FF3 was night and day difference. Not first hand feedback but worth mentioning. Both sights were fine to my eye while patterning.

Ricky,
Not gonna quote you because your pictures are too large, at least when viewed on a PC. Select medium on your picture hosting site if you can. If you don't mind few questions on the AT3: Auto brightness? Auto shut off? Battery lifespan? Looks like a great deal on a compact sight.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles